Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just got an Rolls Royce Silver Spirit modified by Hooper. I don’t have any backgrounds to this car and would be happy if someone here could tell me more about this car.
On the door steps is written: „Motor Bodybuilders and Coachbuilders to: His Majesty the King. Herr Majesty Queen Mary. H.R.H. The Princess Royal. London.“ It had 2 owners. First was living in London, the Second in France.
I attached some pictures. Also if someone could give me price range, of how much worth the car is would be great.
Best regards from Germany, Berlin.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't see anything at all that would suggest this car was modified by Hooper. Certainly the sill plates are not age appropriate, they are from a Hooper coachbuilt car built before 1953 and could have been used on Rolls-Royce, Bentley, or Daimler. After King George VI died in 1952 the Princess Royal became Queen Elizabeth II so a correct plate would have her name on it, not the long dead king. I have three early 1950's Daimler DE36's bodied by Hooper and your sill plates are identical to the ones on two of them. It would not be difficult to obtain the windscreen and backlight decals to try and make some unsuspecting soul think there was something special about this car. It would also be very unlikely for Hooper to modify a bottom of the line Silver Spirit rather than a Spur. Also, Hooper would never pop rivet those sill plates on, they would have used slotted screws. Sorry but it looks like someone is trying to make it out like something special when it's not. Value depends greatly on the mechanical condition, cosmetically it doesn't look great. Does it run and do the brakes work well?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good morning Jim,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Actually there are some silver spirit by Hooper. There are also the fog lights in the front and the wiper for the front lights which was an extra by Hooper. But I see that you might be right with the sill plates. That makes sense.

The breaks are working and the car is driving. inside and outside it needs some love to look better.
I try to make an contact to Bentley, maybe they can tell me more about this

1 - 11 of 11 Posts