Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAN ANYONE HELP? I HAVE SWOPPED RELAYS,AND ALSO CANT SEEM TO GAT A LIVE FEED FROM ANY OF THE TERMINALS THAT THE RELAY PLUGS INTO.
ANY IADEAS GUYS?

·
Registered
54 Posts
It is most likely the cruise control ECU. This is a common occurence. They can be rebuilt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What are the last five digits of your serial number?

This is probably close to what your are looking for.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello everybody!

The image is a rather good quality one. I've got a pretty bad copy of
the workshop manual on cd. Has anyone originals at reasonable prices
on sale or even could supply me with a cd-image (*.iso preferred).

Thank you, JimKnopf

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Australian RR club is in the process of putting them online.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My cruise does not work either. I replaced relays etc. (Spirit 13788) USA car
what does one expect to pay to get this rebuilt? (the ECU)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Spirit85 said:
My cruise does not work either. I replaced relays etc. (Spirit 13788) USA car
what does one expect to pay to get this rebuilt? (the ECU)
Are you sure it is the electronics?. Have you checked the bellows actuator? Is the main on/off relay OK (it is not unheard of for the relay to operate, but not actually 'connect' at the relay switch contacts). Do you know if the speed signal from the transmission is good to the cruise ECU?

The econocruise electronics is simple and can be fixed. To get it done professionally is quite expensive.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I got the car the bellows was torn so that has been replaced I went round and did all the relays too with new bosch relays from Albers. I dont know about the speed signal as I dont know how to check on these things. I have an understanding of basic electrics but I will confess that I wish it was mechanical because that is the way I am inclined.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello

Do you have the electrical drawing of the installation on the car?
Thinking on, I guess if the speedo is working then the pickup on the transmission should be OK, though the drawings I have are for the Shadow. My 89 car has a separate output for the cruise control and I don't know when that came in (its a modified speed pickup on the transmission housed in the same unit as the speedo output. To all intents and purposes I think the two different units look externally identical, but the later type has more wire outputs). That would leave only the connection back from the speedo to the econocruise to be faulty, which is unlikely.
You could check out the bellows unit in the engine. It could probably be aactuated manually by applying voltage to the plug and seeing if the valves actually worked. How many electrical connections are there on its plug? That would be interesting to know.

Cheers... Rob.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts