Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently acquired a 75 silver shadow that has rust through on the sills that run along the car. Its only in the areas behind the front wheels. After doing some reading it seems the areas behind the wheels toward the sill area is very common area for rust. I've looked up replacement option and I do see where you can buy a replacement sill. For anyone that has done this, are these bolt on or is cutting and welding required? When I think about the repaint following the repair, I am wonder if adding new metal and then having it coated with some sort of bed liner type material would be better than a repaint at protecting from rust? I remember on the 1988 Mulsanne we had the lower sills were painted in some type of black paint. Was that for rust prevention? Wondering if doing the same with the shadow would be beneficial? I know its not back to factory and will be unacceptable to a purist but maybe more effective at preventing this problem from reoccurring? I have not looking into all the products on the market that are good for rust prevention on cars. I am more interested in using theAny input is greatly appreciated.

Just as a back story so you know where I am coming from, I am a 24 year old student who got his dream car; a silver shadow. Its in overall great shape with little things to sort out. I am not a purist nor looking to have the car judged. I am just looking to make the shadow user friendly so its a great looking driver that I can use and enjoy for many years.

Thanks!

·
Registered
756 Posts
youll find the bad metal will need to be cut out and replaced back to good metal, there are weld through primers out there you can coat the metal with before installation, Internally once the welding is completed treat the inner sill with waxoil type product its a mixture of wax and oil that is applied via either schoots can or bespoke gun, the idea is that it sprayed in an atomised form in to the cavity making its way into ever corner and crevice protecting i from damp and water damage, to do this you may have to drill 10mm holes in to the back of the sills out of sit and then fit plugs to seal the hole, externally it would be the application of stone chip via aerosol or schoots can, while your at it why not carry on and get the whole of the underside and wheel arches treated as well, absolutely the filthiest job you will ever do on the car but well worth it

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
There are plugs already on the inside of the rocker box and often covered with undercoating.
One of the most critical and often ignored areas, is the cavity within the forward section of the rockers that can be inspected by removing the aluminum inspection covers. Road water and dirt often sit in there and create a mess over the year.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
J, while in there......do whatever you can to coat the innards with a rust proofing coating, once the car leaves the factory they do not see the light of day until it gets too late. Your welder should be aware of weld thru primers for the welded territory, the remainder can be sprayed or brushed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine looks like that..

Only difference being my sills are in good nick!

My SS is rather unusual :sleep:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts