Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Does anyone know if it's possible to suppress or neutralize the hydraulic height control system of a Silver Shadow, and to replace it by a more conventional Shock Absorber System ? I know it's possible to do that with a XJ40 Jaguar, but the RR system seems more complicated than the Jaguar's.
I ask this because I'm a bit tired of bleeding and maintaining this complex system.
thanks for your answers
Phil from France

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Yes, it's entirely possible to blank off the height control system. You really don't need to do anything else, either, as the height control system is only supposed to kick in if the car is heavily laden.

If you download the Rolls-Royce & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation you'll find a section that talks specifically about blanking off the height control system. If you do this and it remains blanked off for any extended period of time you really don't ever want to "reverse" the process or you'll have tons of sludge that has built up in the inactive rams start to flow through your system.

Think very carefully before doing this. You typically only end up rebuilding the height control valves once every several decades at most. It's now possible to buy teflon hoses with stainless steel shielding for all the flex hoses in the hydraulic system that have, effectively, perpetual lifespans unlike the typical rubber hoses.

Good luck whatever your decision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts