Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just brought a silver shadow 2 for the first time. It's been well looked after with only 2 previuos owners. It's got a very good history with bills for past 20 year and a full service history. However, i've only had it 5 days and the front electric window is temperamental going up or down? Has anyone got any advice on how to tackle this?

Regards

Vim :?:

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Please describe what behavior(s) you're experiencing.

These cars are well-known for window issues, but there can be several different things to look at based upon the precise behavior. Is it simply slow about going up/down; does it start in a given direction and then give out; is it good about going down but really slow about going up; etc.?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Richard Treacy's window lift improvement is *very* helpful (and I've built the modules he describes and installed them). However, the one window that typically shouldn't need it is the driver's window.

More details are needed.

Also, any Shadow series owner who doesn't own The Shadow Owners' Companion by Jon Waples should consider buying it. It's available through Amazon.com and http://www.sherbournemews.com/index.htm. He discusses many issues and fixes for these cars, including window issues.

Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sticky front electric window

Brian/Leho,

thanks for all your adivce, it's much appreciated. The window works only around 70% of the time when you flick it up or down. The window goes up and down and may stop halfway through for a second or two and then carries on.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Vim,

1. Check your fuseboard. The fuseboards in this car are notorious
for having the clips "lose their grip" over the course of years. It
is amazing the number of intermittent problems this can cause. Also
check the fuse. I will often change out a fuse even if it looks OK
since this has solved things at various times.

2. Check relays. They're a second very common culprit.

3. You could have a bad window switch or a loose connection or short
anywhere along the path to it.

Your problem description doesn't suggest to me that the issue is
the motor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think you need to determine wether it is a motor problem or a wiring problem. I would put a direct feed to the motor and see how it operates. If it operates perfectly then I think it is a wiring fault. Check connections behind the triangle carpets beside the footwell (always get rotten).

check the microswitches in the window switch, check the wires from the switch to the motor and the switch to the fuses.

Check the loom were it goes through the door hinge.

Has the window assembly got a electric brake solenoid?

Let me know how you get on.

Matt.

PS (I think it is bad/corroded connections.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Despite being an old post. I'd say bad connection. Its not just Rolls Royce/Bentley (Spurs also develop slow windows) that have these annoyances. Most older cars as well. Mercedes, BMW, my 1990 911. Second reason for posting. I'll also rec The Shadow Companion despite mention in the authors bio of having a male partner. I'm against that lifestyle choice, so despite that its a good book!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts