Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi experts!

I have the header tank off my Silver Shadow, for cleaning out and general tidying, I notice that there does not seem to be a method of pressure release? Cap is solid with no holes in.

How does the Shadow let off steam?

·
Super Moderator
691 Posts
Steam valve under the metal cap on top that is held on with 6 screws. Go to heritage.bentley.com and enter your VIN to search for the valve and gaskets.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Note: the steam valve is brass and can sometimes crack.
Like Jjim said, take off the 6 BA screws and look at the valve . It has a gasket around the valve that decays , so removing it will require a new gasket. Do not overt tighten the plastic cap on the header tank, damage to the O ring may result.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you chaps, I'll go stand in the corner looking glum, of course I knew that, had forgotten!

As it happens the cap is overtightened and the seal does need replacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you chaps, I'll go stand in the corner looking glum, of course I knew that, had forgotten!

As it happens the cap is overtightened and the seal does need replacing.
The sump plug tool in tool kit in boot to change engine oil, fits hexagonal in coolant filler cap to assist removal when tight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I had a tool kit I would have known that!

I did notice, that while the header tank is off, that I can blow into the tube that the steam valve vents out to, which I think is kinda odd, I would expect the steam valve to be closed when the tank is stone cold

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plot thickens.

I took out the steam valve, sure enough its cracked.

If I blow through the steam valve it seems to be closed, lets hope it opens!

More curiously...when I blow into the pipe that vents the steam valve down under the car my blowing exits through a hole in the cavity that the steam valve fits into, but if I keep blowing and put my finger on the hole in the cavity, the note changes, but I can still blow and hear the blowing inside the header tank, I suspect there is some failure of the copper tube that vents the steam valve inside the header tank.

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geoff

Very rude of me not to reply sooner. Thank you for the TeeOne link, very useful, saved me from a right mess up!

Header tank now refitted and filled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts