Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a '75 SS1, and am new on the forum.
I bought the car as a project, and have put it in for Mot, all is good apart from a problem with the brakes.
When driving, when initially applying the brake pedal the car pulls quite hard to the right(drivers side(UK)), if you keep pushing the brake pedal it levels out fine, it just snatches on initial pushing, the brake pedal does feel a bit harder than it should be before the 'snatching' occurs, all calipers and caliper pistons have been serviced, and appear to move out at the same time, and on the brake balance tester(for the mot) it reads spot on as they apparentley only apply a steady pressure to bring it to a standstill.
Is it something to do with the master cylinder? Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi and welcome
When was the last time did she have the flexi pipes Changed?
They should be done every 4 years you need to see if you can get some history on her
If not and your going to keep it then I would do a overhaul on all the 3 systems and then there done
There not hard to do just time consuming
All parts are on next day delivery call BCI Brian and mention my name and you will get t a discount he is on 01844237716
With my experience with S1’s that is the way I would do it and then you can find out what is wrong but I think when you service the system you wont have a problem
Look on hear for the work shop manuals to help you wit it and for bleeding
Michael

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for the info, not sure on the flexi pipes, but as far as i know they are ok.
ive just been looking on the web, the system apparently has a(or 2) distribution valves, could it be one of these failing?
Also ive read about this castrol R363 oil or something, i know that mine has had dot 4 put in it, could this be a problem?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi it could be anything
But the only way is ask the last owner what was done to her
If you can’t do that then you have to start some where the Flexi pipe fail from the inside they mite look good but you never know
When this is done then you can start looking
If you have been reading about the system then you know there not normal
And could be just needing to be bled proply but you must start some where and if the flexi’s haven’t been done it is a good starting point as RR state they should be done every 4 years

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Leon,

First step is to bleed the brakes again. Get a couple of litres of R363 ready, but don't add it until everything is working as it should.

Any air in the system will cause a delay when breaking. LHM cars are worse for this.

It's nothing to do with the master cylinder if is the steering wheel that snatches. (Master cylinder just does 1/2 the rear callipers.)

It would be good to check out the hoses as suggested. Once removed from the car you should be able to blow through them without too much effort. (use some clean rubber tube pushed on to one end.

(usually if the hoses are closed up! a) you will not get fluid dripping freely from the nipple if you just open it. b) the affected calliper will be slower to come on especially with gentle breaking. c) the affected calliper will be slow to release,will bind, or in extreme cases will seize on smoke and cook the calliper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts