Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need to replace a missing air intake mesh of a silver shadow 2. This is the mesh where pollen filter sits. Any help including some pictures would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hood Grille Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

· Registered
4,630 Posts
When I needed to do this on SRH33576, I simply acquired a small piece of hardware cloth, and cut it to size according to a paper template I made first.

I think I used 1/4" hardware cloth, not 1/8", but it shouldn't really matter which you use.

I've also stopped using the factory official foam filter that rests on top of it. These things disintegrate and get into the HVAC ducts and car itself. I've found using non-woven weed-mat, cut to fit, works much better and without the "airborne shards" issues that come with the foam.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking for the actual foam filter element or metal screen? Post a pic and we can tell you. What happened to the originals?
I need the mesh grills where the pollen filter rest, they are missing. Thanks

Moderator note: Mmec, as a new member of this forum, please take a few minutes to read through "Instructions for navigating the site" and "How to reply to a discussion thread"in the FAQ section, link here:FAQ There are other topics there that you may find informative. Please note also that it is not necessary to quote a previous post in your reply if you are following the train of thought in the thread, it just clutters up the thread unnecessarily. Thanks, Jim.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited by Moderator)
They should be available from breakers and I see a couple listed on eBay.
no its not this one, it’s the one underneath the pollen filter.

Moderator note: Mmec, PLEASE read the forum FAQ that is linked in the previous posts. Specifically, when you reply to a post simply start typing your response in the dialogue box below the last post where it says "Write your reply" in the top left hand corner. Do NOT click on "reply" unless it is absolutely necessary to quote a previous post for continuity. This instruction is in the forum FAQ.

· Registered
4,715 Posts
Ok got it. Technically it's called an "expanded metal " screen. Likely from a breaker. You could substitute something, but it needs stiffness that an ordinary bug screen doesn't have

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Hence the reason I've recommended hardware cloth, available at virtually any hardware store, including the big box ones, that you can find. It's got the "structural stiffness" needed, yet can very easily be trimmed to shape using metal snips (probably even scissors, though you'd make those scissors useless for other purposes).

I'll have to take a photo of what's in SRH33576 if I can get a chance over the next several days. I basically used the actual grille as my template, but cut in around the entire perimeter just enough so the grille didn't collide with it. I also remember having to cut out a spot for the washer jet at the center and (perhaps) something else.

· Registered
4,715 Posts
Also, may I recommend when you are in the well, notice the 2 corner drains, sometimes called a frog mouth. It's basically a rubber tube for drainage that has a set of "lips" that are closed and when there is water entering the well, it drains thru these tubes. You can use a pencil or compressed air in case they are filled with debris.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts