Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please, this car runs and drives but when i go to excelerate it stutters lots and takes forever to get past it all.
points /plugs/condenser/ rotor arm. oil in dash pots all ok. do the carbs need balancing!!!!!! or is it timming any ideas at all. as i can do bits and try.

Gino Italy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like a classic lack of fuel problem.

Check the pump. It needs to deliver a whole lot more fuel when you push the car (e.g. overtake). Your car probably has the old points driven SU electric pump. I suggest that you check its delivery rate. Try taking off one of the pipes to a carb then directing it into a bottle and switch on the ignition (don't start the car, just ignition). The pump should pump quite a lot of fuel quite quickly. If it doesn't, suspect the pump.

Also check for any filters in the lines that maybe blocked.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Rob Thanks for your advise i will check the pump next week, I take it its a common problem!.
Can I also ask where i can get the information to set up the points/dwell angles and also the timminbg so i can set it up using my strobe light.
Do you also know the correct procedure to balance the carb's!
I Look forward to hearing from you

Gino

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: Thanks

jrggino said:
Rob Thanks for your advise i will check the pump next week, I take it its a common problem!.
Can I also ask where i can get the information to set up the points/dwell angles and also the timminbg so i can set it up using my strobe light.
Do you also know the correct procedure to balance the carb's!
I Look forward to hearing from you

Gino
Hello Gino

I do not have carbs or points on my car. Sorry.

The SU pump is a good pump, but it is obviously getting old now. You can replace it or get the parts to re-build yours.

Carb balancing requires a simple air flow tool. try a search for 'carbalancer' on www.ebay.it. You will see the tool I mean.

Most importantly for the other questions you have (and also some help in setting up the carbs), you should check out the Australian Owners club websites technical library http://rroc.org.au/wiki/index.php?title=Technical_Library

Scroll down the page till you see your model. You can get all the technical manuals there in .pdf format.

This document 'Postwar Vehicles - 1946 to 1999 Engine Settings' should be most useful. Look here..

http://rrtechnical.info/enginesettingspost1946.pdf

Hope this helps.

Cheers... Rob.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts