Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Just got hold of these 2 Cloud's. They had been sitting for 5 years and started right away after puttin in some gas and new battery. The problem is all fluids are missing or dirty. Previous owner does nto knwo what gets filled in. I would appreicate if someone can advice on the following -
1.) Brake fluid
2.) Transmission Fluid
3.) Radiator/Engine coolant - There is discussion about using organic rust inhibitors (OAT) versus inorganic rust inhibitors (IAT). OAT leeches into the seals and eats up whereas IAT does not (supposedly). Any help in this will help
4.) Engine oil and carb oil

Called up various dealers across the US, but got mixed responses, so would like true help to get these Clouds started

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a '61 Bentley S2 with the 6.2 engine. I believe your Cloud will be the same.
1. Brake fluid is DOT 3 unless you have a RR with green cap master cylinder.
2. Dexron III is what the person was using i bought the car from. The car seems to shift ok, but i really don't know if its the correct one.
3. Your choice
4. Book calls for 10-30 on engine and 20w for carb oil.

One caution. If the brake lines are gummed up, you may have to replace them. Hope this helps, Cecil..........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for your post qictrk. This is something I was also going to have to look into.

Do these engines mind synthetic oils or is it better to stick with mineral?

Not sure what brand I will put in as I'm only familiar with whats good for diesels so it would be helpful if anyone has any input as to what brands run well in these engines.

Cheers, Taz.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Taz, I would stick with the lubricants that were available in the year of your vehicle. Many of the new synthetic oils could be missing minerals that our old vehicles were build to depend on. If it worked in the past, why change it. You know the old saying: "Don't fix it, if its not broke."
Many of the top brands of yesterday are still going strong today. So, pick one that you recognize and I'm sure you'll be save. Just my 2 cents worth. Cecil............

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cheers for that. I have read that synthetic oil is really bad for older motors with flat tappet camshafts which made me wonder about other engines. Will do a bit of research and see what people with the same vehicles swear by.

Cheers, Taz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts