Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I've just bought myself an 89 Turbo R. I knew the cruise control didn't work, but I'm not even sure the actuator in the engine bay is still present. I expected some sort of vacuum unit to be somewhere around the fuel injection air flow meter, but I just don't see it. Is it vacuum powered anyway?. I also have an unconnected plug attatched to the same lead that goes into the air flow meter. Its a four pin, pins in a line connector. Maybe its part of a loom that isn't used on this car (I know they use standard looms and just use what they need for the appropriate option), but its really obvious just sat there right in the middle of the engine bay. Any ideas?
So does anyone know where the cruise control actuator should be on this car?. Remember also its a right hand drive being in Blitey.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe that beginning with the 20,000 series cars that the actuator is electric and not vacuum operated. It should be located under bonnet center near the firewall and should be the same for RHD & LHD cars. The ECU is under the dash inside the car. Note: For cars with the CHMSL, the lamp has to be working for the cruise control to work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lew

I think I've identified it from your description. Its under the wiper mechanism. There's some sort of flat slotted link going to it from the throttle. I'd mistaken that item for part of the fuel injection system (maybe part of the warm up regulator, but maybe I'm harking back to my old 280E Merc, it kind of looked the same).
You've got me there though. What is the CHMSL (think that's correct) and what lamp has to be working? My car must be one of the last none active ride models. I also don't have the interior that has the plastic inserts in the rear seats to hold the seat belt buckles (if that is of any importance to the question).

I hear that the cruise control unit you mention behind the dash is the main culprit for failure. Do you know anything of the nature of the failure?. I was going to have a go at fixing the unit myself if I can get at it.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
54 Posts
CHMSL = Center High Mounted Stop Lamp.

Yes, indeed the control module is a common cause of a defective cruise control. Don't know about the defective components. You can have it rebuilt though.

http://gdl-online.com/begin.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts