Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a shipper that would pick up a crated engine (small, non-R-R) in Hilcote, Derbyshire and ship it to me near Chicago? The seller is having a problem finding anyone who will transport an engine that has had fluids in it.

·
Registered
1971 Bentley T
111 Posts
I have had a similar problem. I know of no shipper that will carry any machine with fluids in it - especially oils. When a pump showed signs of an oily leak at a depot in the journey to me I was forced to drive 100 miles with a hired van to collect it.

Drain the fluids and clean away the evidence on the outside.

Alan D.

·
Registered
1971 Bentley T
111 Posts
Here is the result of my enquiries. Call a UK mobile number number 07770233328. Ian is a guy who ships diesel engines all over the world. If you haven't got a solution yet he might be able to guide you.

HTH. Alan D.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm flying on a 747 freighter. We transport engines and cars with all their fluids inside, all the time. Had 2 300SL Gullwings couple of weeks ago, one was dripping a little bit of oil. Not an issue whatsoever on a freighter airplane. Fluids should not be an issue on a van, truck or containership.
On the other side however, I had UPS refuse me to send a bottle of wine from one place in the US to another. Go understand...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JP,
Thank you for the information. Ultimately, the UK seller would never quite commit to boxing the engine (even with an offer to wire the funds to purchase and crate) and prepare it for shipping. I was able to find an identical engine in the US (through a network of like minded folks) and it has been with my racing engine builder for a month (with completion for next year's racing season).

On the issue of shipping wine, we have bizarre regulations in each US state that govern the transport of any alcohol. As a result, you may be able to ship from state A to state B but not state A to state C.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts