·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Stirling,

I believe you have a copy of IETIS that covers your car, and when it comes to finding parts the equivalent of the illustrated parts catalog that's a part of that system is the reference to use.

See the attached, and start at UR13465, if you're talking about what I believe you are. Also, take Jim's advice and contact Kelly about these, as his will be far less expensive and made to the highest possible standard.

1997_TurboR_LWB_Front_Suspension.jpg

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had actually emailed Kelly about the shims before I posted and he told me he removed the shims from his website just yesterday as he no longer had stock, and he no longer had a source of inexpensive material to work with. But he can still make them to order at double his previous price.

Thank you for that part number Brian. Now I see that there are different height shims. How to know what size to get in advance of reassembling the suspension with the new shocks?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Stirling, as you may know, the springs determine the standing height of your car. Mark the springs, ie, L&R if they are removed from the car.
Shocks are used to counteract the spring, or the spring will keep doing it's springing until its' energy is depleted.
You could disconnect the shocks and get a true spring only measurement. Make sure tyre pressures are equal.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Stirling,

That's the "big problem" with shims. You really can't have any idea what you need, if anything, until you have everything back together and determine that you need "just a smidge more" height adjustment. They're really a kludge, but an often necessary one, not just here.

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't mention that I'm definitely sitting low in front. Actually probably more than a shim is going to rectify. I should likely be looking at new springs too.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
And if you're looking at new springs, and intend to DIY, it's a big job that must be handled with care.

Ken Herrera, a former member of the RROC-US wrote this wonderful article about how to safely do this job yourself:
The Most Dangerous Job

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I definitely won't be doing this job. The local independent European shop will be doing it, but they've never done this on a RR or B before. I did forward Ken Herrera's article to my mechanic a while back. Let's hope he comes out of this unscathed!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The handle wrenches that Kelly supplies for his spring compressor move the job along nicely. You can compress the spring in situ, and it will allow the spring perch to raise exposing the shims. Sometimes the perch is stubborn.
When I fully restored my '80 SWII, I powdercoated the spring perches.
Now that the car is on the road for the last 2 yrs, my winter project is to breakdown the front suspension for new bearing pin bushings (urethane), check shock ball joints, new shocks, etc. Additional cad and powdercoating.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
@Wraithman:

Heaven forfend!! It's not original!!!! The purists will see you drawn and quartered!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
A well sorted SY is fun to drive. The car ( SWII) performs really well with the new Hankooks also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts