Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1976-1977, the radiators and header tanks changed from a narrow header tank mounting tab configuration to a wide-set mounting tab configuration. The pre-1977 header tanks with the narrow mounting tabs will not bolt right up to a post-1977 radiator without some kludgery.

To mount a correct header tank on a 1977-on RR SS2 radiator, the Internet depicts two different p/n for header tanks that fit on RR SS2 radiators with the wide header tank tab mounting configuration.

Can anybody tell me what the difference is between RR SS2 header tanks p/n UR17752 and UR45525?

Thx!

IR

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Is there a problem with your current header tank?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
BTW when you mention, "the internet" what exactly (site) shows this? I'm curious

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Follow up: My 76 SS LRE-23114 and my 1980 SWII LRL-41587C have exactly the same mounting tabs spacing and location.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
chassis #7824 shows the 15# relief header tank, meaning the 15 was adapted from this number forward.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Our car is a 1972, which was originally fitted with radiator UR17751 (has trans cooler built in) and header tank UR18580. The radiator‘s header tank mounting tabs, and the corresponding tabs on the header tank, are distance X” (ie narrower than the mounting tabs on a SS2 header tank).

My leaking OEM radiator was removed yesterday and replaced with a good RR SS radiator that in retrospect turns out to be a UR 18102, ie for a SS2, with the only physical difference as far as I can see is that the radiator’s header tank mounting tabs are noticeably farther apart, say X+Y”.

Searching all of FS and ebay, if you look closely you will notice the visible difference in the placement of the header tank mounting tabs on both the pics of radiators and pics of header tanks.

Sooooo, looking for a matching header tank for the UR18102 radiator, there appear to be two possible choices, UR17752 and UR45525 - I’m just trying to figure out if there is any important difference between the two p/n SS2 header tanks or whether either would bolt up just as satisfactorily to my SS1 with the SS2 radiator…

thx again

IR

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx for all of the thoughtful replies!

I’m trying to keep my existing 1972 header tank, p/n UR18580, so that when I re-core my 1972 radiator, p/n UR17751 I still have the correct header tank that goes with it. So that’s why I’m not looking at performing surgery on the old header tank to make it match up to the new radiator.

Was contemplating purchasing another different header tank to go with the 1976/7 radiator, p/n UR18012, currently installed in the 1972 SS1, that has the different, wider mounting tabs. The FS catalogue and other Internet articles alternately depict two different header tank p/ns, UR17752 and UR45525, so I was just checking to see if anyone had actual first hand experience with these tanks to tell me if there is any physical/dimensional difference I should be aware of…

thx

IR

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
It's crazy to buy a header from overseas and paying accordingly. Why not source domestic shops. Try Tony Handler, eBay, Luxury Junkyard and the various shops nationwide.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
..or sell what was installed, then re-core your 72 rad and everything works out for you.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
There are times where I know I've posted the direct link to the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation, in other topics with some of the same participants, and I have to wonder whether it's ever been downloaded and consulted.

There is an entire section entitled, USED, VINTAGE & Reproduction PARTS SOURCES (U.S. Centric)
that contains all the contact information for Handler, The Luxury Junkyard, plus a number of other US suppliers (and 2 UK suppliers) of used parts.

It's worth glancing through the entire document, looking at the section headings, and filing those in the back of your mind. There's no way a 70 page document can be memorized, but the sections that relate to the car or cars you have is short work.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Brian

I think you will find that more people than you think download the resources file. It is an appreciated asset.

I always take a fresh copy when you post the link in case of updates to the file, although I guess it is not really necessary as I assume you keep the link posted by Jim at the top of this forum up to date.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I always take a fresh copy when you post the link in case of updates to the file, although I guess it is not really necessary as I assume you keep the link posted by Jim at the top of this forum up to date.
Geoff,

If you're doing this every time I post the link, that's too often. There was a time, and it was quite a while back, where additions and corrections were coming fast and furious all the time. Now if I do a few updates per year, that's probably it.

I have made a couple of recent changes, but they're not uploaded, yet. As a result of this conversation I tried going to the links for some of those resources, and the one for Specialized Parts Planet no longer works (or at least is not working at the moment). From what I've been able to determine so far, they are still in business. I intend to contact them about their website being down if it continues misbehaving up through Monday. After I know what's what as far as that goes I'll probably push the next update out.

By the way, to each and every person who's ever either provided me with a new resource to add to the collection, or who has provided me with updates like a business disappearing, someone "getting a bad reputation" (and after enough of that feedback those entries get cut), or a web address or phone number or contact person changing, you have my sincerest thanks. There is no way I can check this thing in its entirety on a routine, cyclic basis. There's just so much time in my day, so I rely on those using it to give me a heads-up when they encounter either an issue with something or a new resource.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts