Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know shat the two sensors are for on my 2006 Arnage rear view mirror. They are both front facing. I want to replace my mirror with an aftermarket mirror with a back-up camera display. I'm concerned that they may be related to the alarm system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought, too - at least for one of them. (most likely the one in the mirror backing itself) The problem the other one. I've covered both of them with black vinyl tape to try to figure out what doesn't work. When I make the swap I can probably figure out a way to keep the other one that is attached to the mirror-mounting stalk but I'd still like to know what they are.
Thanks for responding so quickly. When I get to the actual project I'll try to keep the forum posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I installed one of those mirror/screens in my wifes old car, less than ideal , try and find some other way
Turning my head seems to work for me :D

Jokes aside, some of these cameras have bluetooth capability so that you can use your mobile phone screen. It would be my preferred solution as I always carry my phone, and I won't interfere with the aesthetics of the car.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Have you checked to see if that second one might be the automatic headlight sensor?

I know that the ambient light sensor for that function is usually on the dash itself, but who knows. Do the Seraph's have auto-high-beam-dipping? If so, it could be for that function, too.

Based on a very quick check of IETIS these mirrors appear to be Magna-Donnelly units that were used on a very great many marques. You might try searching on just Donnelly mirror and seeing what models and sensors show up.

@alabbasi, all kidding aside, I'm like you. Even though my partner's truck has a backup camera I don't trust it as much as I trust my own eyes oriented in the appropriate direction. I'm trying to learn to trust, as the fisheye feature catches things your own eyes can't, but I will probably always default to looking behind me and using the side mirrors in conjunction with doing same. I do have to say, though, that I like the feature on his truck where the backup safety feature starts beeping at you, slowly at first, and with increasing speed as it detects the rear of the vehicle and whatever obstacle it's detecting draw ever nearer. And it only starts once you're within something like 3.5 to 4 feed of that obstacle.

Reactions: alabbasi

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yep, I have parking sensors on my S55 AMG, they do a good job of telling me where the corners are. Some cars are plane hard to judge. Fortunately, a crew rectangle isn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for the recommendations. I did install a backup camera in my '98 Azure. It was one of the wireless units that talked to my cell phone using bluetooth. It was OK but there were two problems: It needed to have the WIFI enabled and the display was on all the time - not just when backing up and that drained the cell phone battery fairly quickly. The other issue was more personal. My cervical spine is fused and it is tough for me to turn my head very far, so backing out of a parking slot feels risky.

What I want to do with the Arnage is mount the camera in the GPS antenna housing above the rear window so that I get a wider field of view.

I was just at SEMA a few weeks ago and the mirrors that they were showing there really looked good. Also, my wife got a Toyota Venza with the backup mirror display and it is perfect.

Still wondering what the other sensor - the one that is on the mounting stalk is for. I suppose that I could figure out a way to attach it to the new mirror but that looks like it will require cutting and splicing the wires so if it is part of the alarm....

Thanks again everybody!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Take a look at the wiring diagram. Whatever it is will certainly be accounted for there.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I presume you're asking about part number C0256, shown in this component location diagram, which I got to via the wiring diagram (though I found C0255, the electrochromic mirror first, then used what I saw in the diagram - same one - labeled C0256 on which to search):

Slope Vehicle Naval architecture Aircraft Font

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I presume you're asking about part number C0256, shown in this component location diagram, which I got to via the wiring diagram (though I found C0255, the electrochromic mirror first, then used what I saw in the diagram - same one - labeled C0256 on which to search):

View attachment 30870
That does indeed look like the one. I poured over the IETIS but didn't see this. Thanks a million!

I also didn't realize that there was auto dimming on the car - I've never noticed it working. I'
ll test it out using the Venza in the driveway.

Thanks again,

JR

JR

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
JR,

I don't believe that means auto-dipping, as in it will take your headlights from high beam to low beam as another car approaches.

The name "Auto headlamps light sensor" implies to me that this is the light sensor that is used to determine when the headlights turn on automatically when the light is low enough. Covering it with a piece of electrical tape during daylight hours had ought to test out my theory if you have your headlights set to Auto.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts