Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had posted to the site info on the seat restoration Im working on, but hey ho.

Finally bit the bullet and decided to restore the much overdue seats in my SS2
Cream leather and denims do not go well together and as can be seen from the photos the dye from denims dirt etc really has taken its tolls

Removal of the component parts was really easy and the restoration process is straightforward enough but the kit did not come with a spare bottle of patience as it is a job that requires a bit of bravery as its gets much worse before getting so much better.

The first seat to tackle being the drivers :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I shopped around and finally settled on the furniture clinic product.
I gave their technical help desk a call as I didn't see a kit that suited me, The seats didnt have cracks so didn't need the filler.
The first job is the alcohol cleaner and then leather prep, the prep is amazing at really digging in to the old colour and removing the layers of dirt etc. A messy job and you need plenty of nitrile gloves, have attached photo of the kit supplied and also photos of the seat base etc stripped back ready for dying spraying etc
In one photo you can clearly see the difference between the seat base and back

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So now at the spray stage, the kit came with an airbrush which I was able to connect to my compressor and turn the pressure down to 20psi.
You have to make sure that after use the bottle and gun are cleaned thoroughly. I had other air brushes and couldn't get them to work after a bit of investigation was down to nozzle size
Some photos of seat panels sprayed, on average two to three coats, you can speed up the drying process using a hair drier, top tip less is more.

The piping is the big test, tried several attempts at masking etc, eventually settle on buying 5mm masking tape, do the piping first and then when you come time to spray mask off with the 5mm tape
couple of photos with sections sprayed and getting near to finished product
The last job is a leather sealer that has to be applied. I have decided to wait for better weather as this is a critical coat to apply and don't want it held up because of temperature in the garage, The photo of the seat base isn't the best as the flash shows it glossy
The piping still has a couple of areas to be tidied up
In the end I settled for a very fine artists brush and used a flexi bladed scraper to keep the gray on piping away from the cream leather

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Looks great! Its nice that the leather itself was in good structural shape with no cracks. Looks really good!

Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Did you rejuvenate the leather before dyeing to make it supple? Every leather interior I have done was as follows. Clean, strip feed leather with rejuvenator and dye.
Results were butter soft. If you do not feed the leather it will sooner or later crack. It is a skin.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I followed the advice of furniture clinic, they advise going the route I have and when completed then feeding the leather every six months

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally back on track, got distracted restoring a couple of other cars but actually worked in my favour, having completed the drivers seat it was on to the passenger side, far easier and of course knowing how it comes apart and how to approach the work from the previous seat saved loads of tie really pleased with the result, just the back seat to do and a quick wipe down of door cards etc job done. The bonus finding the initials of the assembly guy with the date of installation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello Motorman,

What a fantastic job! Seriously, nicely done. I see you are over in the UK. I’m curious, do you see a lot of Rolls Royces and Bentley’s over there?

Also, what kind of paint did you use on your piping?

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
Rolls and Bentley rare beasts. I live in a rural location so lucky if I see one a year. You tend to find more chance visiting a bigger city.
Even at the Glamis festival there was only two Rollers mine and the Earl of Strathmore who owns Glamis castle.

The leather dye was supplied in a small sample bottle as the guy knew I didnt need much to re paint the piping. Got the passenger seat finished and put back together

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Blown away by how good this looks! Is it possible to do this without a compressor (and get a good result?)

·
Registered
400 Posts
If all you need is 20psi, then you don't have to spend a huge amount for a compressor that will do the job.
This type of dye, or fast dry paint if you wish CAN NOT be brushed on, you'll end up with a huge mess of shiny and dull spots, areas with too much dye will take forever to dry.
You have no control over the application with anything else other then an air brush.

A descent air brush where you can control how much air comes out is also very helpful.
Aim to have it look like a professional has done it, and not a DYI,er.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am always a bit cynical about re-dying leather as I have seen some pretty average results but this really does look good - well done. How did you manage to obtain the exact match to your leather ? I am particularly interested to know how to locate the piping colour as I have a piping problem on the driver's seat of my Conti R and cannot get any direction on matching. I am assuming you sponged or brushed the piping ??

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I finished a complete interior in a Shadow with Surf Blue piping with beige leather. The piping was done by hand.
I can show you results of 2 interiors..one airbrushed, and another applied by brush. You cannot tell the difference. You have to get the softest natural brush out there from an artist supply house.
The key is prep, prep and more prep. Cleaning, rejuvenating, and then color coat. Sometimes flexible filler is needed for deep cracks.
I have my dyes mixed at ColorPlus and they are 99.8% matched.
IMG_0689.JPG

·
Registered
1989 Bentley Turbo R
35 Posts
Super result there Motorman they look great. I recently added a compressor to my garage tool kit so may take this same job on at some stage. I recently had the seats and centre console out of my 89 Turbo R (to fix the seat motors/ECUs) and for now I just did an extensive clean and feed job and they are much softer and cleaner then before but may go down the full restoration route next year based on your results.

Does anyone know if you can completely change the leather colour using one of these kits or is it just to rejuvenate in your existing colour? Not for the Bentley - I want to change the seats in my E-Type to MX5 NA seats as much safer and the E-Types seats are knackered - I've sourced the donor Mazda seats (in black leather) and was going to get them recovered in the Cream/biscut colour of my Jaguar interior....but if I can re-colour them with a kit like this and it does'nt look rubbish I may give that a go first.....

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Even though this type of leather dye is, for all practical intents and purposes, paint, anyone who's painted in a radically different color over another one, whether light over dark or dark over light, knows that it's a difficult proposition at best. It takes a lot more effort to avoid show-through.

Depending on your tolerance for having to exercise more care and probably do more than one coat you may want to think of reuhpolstering first. Also, I don't know whether they have it for the seats you wish to recover, but I can say that Katzkin makes absolutely gorgeous, and very high quality, leather upholstery for a very great many cars and trucks.

Reactions: kevin.oconnell

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great work Motorman, what an improvement. You must be chuffed.

the interior of my car was completely thrashed and I was amazed how much could be saved using the furniture clinic products. Patience is definitely the key. I’ll have to do the Porsche next :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am always a bit cynical about re-dying leather as I have seen some pretty average results but this really does look good - well done. How did you manage to obtain the exact match to your leather ? I am particularly interested to know how to locate the piping colour as I have a piping problem on the driver's seat of my Conti R and cannot get any direction on matching. I am assuming you sponged or brushed the piping ??
Sorry for delay
I hand painted the piping, not for the faint hearted, top tip buy decent artists brushes plenty of light on the area you are painting, youll probably struggle to match the piping as you cant like the seat material cut a bit and send to supplier to paint match, I was given advice to mask off the piping, it put hours on to the work, for the second seat I was just careful with the airbrush not to cross over too much on to the piping

1 - 20 of 25 Posts