Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a bit of advice if anyone can help.
Have the passenger seat out of my Bentley Eight 14046 to so some work on the floor and want to address the seat motors while it's out.
Seat will move but is very slow in all directions, sometimes it just gives up and needs a bit of time to itself . That's with an empty seat.
Can anyone advise where to lubricate and best products to use.
I'd like to see if it's just stiffness from lack of use before I go chasing seat motors.
Any advice on chasing seat motors also appreciated.

20210414_175808.jpg

Also changing the rear suspension spheres, one is definitely gone but I think the other may still have pressure.
Is there any way to safely release the pressure before disposal as I'm a bit reluctant to dump a high pressure component in the scrap pile. Don't think there are any specific regulations in Ireland

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also changing the rear suspension spheres, one is definitely gone but I think the other may still have pressure.
Is there any way to safely release the pressure before disposal as I'm a bit reluctant to dump a high pressure component in the scrap pile. Don't think there are any specific regulations in Ireland
Give your spheres to any Citroën dealer : they will know how to dispose of them safely.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looking for a bit of advice if anyone can help.
Have the passenger seat out of my Bentley Eight 14046 to so some work on the floor and want to address the seat motors while it's out.
Seat will move but is very slow in all directions, sometimes it just gives up and needs a bit of time to itself . That's with an empty seat.
Can anyone advise where to lubricate and best products to use.
I'd like to see if it's just stiffness from lack of use before I go chasing seat motors.
Any advice on chasing seat motors also appreciated.

View attachment 29658

Thanks
I posted a simple way to change the Spheres
1) take out the kill switch in the boot
2) with the key on pump the brake pedal 60 times
3) jack up both back wheels off the ground and then let them down a bit until they are just touching the ground
4} with a chain wrench Loosen the Sphere and take it off by hand on both sides
5) put the new ones on and tighten by hand with a little extra with the wrench
6 ) let it down and start the engine,let it run for 2/3 minuted
Job done,you should not loose any fluid or have to bleed them.

·
Premium Member
1989 Bentley Turbo R
52 Posts
Hi Ernie, Another Ireland-based Bentley SZ owner here....I had the seats out of my '89 Turbo R last summer as the memory function was broken and the passenger seat was stuck and would suddenly start moving (without operating any switches) from time to time. In the end I rewired the seat switches to convert to full manual mode and got rid of the seat ECUs as the batteries had corroded and damaged the boards. I also had to correct some 'twist' in the seat positions as some of the seat movement was not happening in parallel so the seat was twisting (one of the gearboxes on the drivers seat was broken inside).

My suggestion is a follows....refer to the TSD4700 workshop manual from the Bentley Heritage site. Take a look in Volume 2 Chapter S - Body. Section S13 is all about the seats. In terms of lubrication of the seat frame itself to make the most of whatever power you have in the seat motors I would start by greasing/oiling all the pivots/joints on the metal seat frame.

Then take a look at page S13-6 item 10 in the first diagram. This is the seat rake gearbox there are two per seat one on each side. Inside mine was a congealed mess of 30+ year old 'grey' grease. I cleaned everything out and packed with new grease. (I also had to replace one of these gearboxes as it had broken inside which is why my drivers seat was all twisted - I sourced a recycled part from Westminister Auto Spares - Carl there is super helpful).

I think thats about all you can do in terms of taking the load off the electric motors.....before you start to look at the motors:
In the fault diagnosis section S13-5 some of the causes are 'Motor Failure' with the note: Each motor is protected by an internal thermal cut-out, ensure the motor has not overheated.
The remedy for Motor Failure is 'Test the motor - refer to TSD4701 Electrical Manual'.
All the online copies of TSD4701 that I can find are partly incomplete but the sections that are there for the Seats are in Section 27 - Front Seats. I don't see any documentation in Section 27 for testing the motors unfortunately. Maybe you could source 1 second hand motor and install and see if it is better than the ones you have....or if they are all weak maybe check the voltage getting to them - could you have a poor ground reducing the current flow?

I hope that helps a bit. Update here on how things go......Kevin

·
Premium Member
1989 Bentley Turbo R
52 Posts
Forgot to add I did the rear gas springs recently and have not disposed of the old springs yet due to the same concerns you raised. Next time I am passing a Citroen dealer I'll give the recycling option a go - although I think its a long time since a Citroen dealer here was working on gas springs so not sure if they will even recognise what they are!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas fellas.
I asked about lubrication points because I know some oils will swell plastic parts and I don't want to make the problem worse.

Citroen dealer. Can't believe it never occurred to me.
While the brain is in the area I realise that I've seen spheres on some heavy machinery lately like large tractors so maybe another avenue to explore.

While searching on here I came across a story about someone throwing spheres in the scrap pile and bomb disposal being called because a passerby thought they were a grenade. Kinda makes sense when you think about it.
I would like to avoid that.

I'll post if I get anywhere on the recycling option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts