Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Sadness for an unlucky Arnage T.

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  guyslp 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Stirling said:
That's sad, but I guess when the government is simply crushing so many serviceable vehicles (cash for clunkers) its hard to blame these kids for their behaviour. :(
I wasn't really mad keen on the programm, because I know some very serviceable cars ended up on the chop. I also think it should have gone for used cars as well, because many people who couldn' t swing a new car could have bought those serviceable used cars, and it would have still been a step towards efficenncy.

I doubt any RRs or Bentley found their way into the crushers.

It sounds hypocritical for me to say so, when I am looking at buying an Arnage, but the US does desperately need to cut back on fuel usage. Some of that has to do with how w use our cars as much as how much fuel they use. This stupid need to commute from suburbia 2 hours a day is a big start. I justify my purchase on the grounds that I walk for most of my shopping, and day to day activities. I do some commuting for recording, but generally when I am ' working', I am not driving, I am somewhere walking. For example I am in Rome right now singing, and I have no intention of even using motorized/public transport except for getting to and from the Airport. the Arnage might see 3500 miles in a year, if I drive it most of the time I am home.

All of which is a long way from that sad little video, where I see a well crafted car getting abused. I don't excuse Bentley for having a car that is a real problem, because of their cost, but they should get rid of it instead of abusing it.

#4 ·
I hear what you're saying, sort of, but I would think if the US really "needed to cut back on their fuel usage" that the market would be saying so by running up the price of crude. The reality is that there is lots of oil around, and likely to be more surplus in the coming years as the economy shrinks.

On the other hand, if we really believe there is a social cost to auto emissions then the government should put a tax on gas that is used strictly for environmental cleanup. If people want to spend $7/gallon to fill up their 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee then sobeit (is that one word or three?). But taking Paul's tax dollars to pay Peter to send his car to the crusher is an appalling abuse of the taxpayer. Unfortunately there aren't many politicians standing up for the taxpayer at this point.

I see that Rome/Italy is all flustered about Mr. Berlusconi these days. Hopefully you won't run into any nonsense on your trip!

#5 ·
CaesoniaF said:
Stirling said:
That's sad, but I guess when the government is simply crushing so many serviceable vehicles (cash for clunkers) its hard to blame these kids for their behaviour. :(
I wasn't really mad keen on the programm, because I know some very serviceable cars ended up on the chop. I also think it should have gone for used cars as well, because many people who couldn' t swing a new car could have bought those serviceable used cars, and it would have still been a step towards efficenncy.

It sounds hypocritical for me to say so, when I am looking at buying an Arnage, but the US does desperately need to cut back on fuel usage. Some of that has to do with how w use our cars as much as how much fuel they use. This stupid need to commute from suburbia 2 hours a day is a big start. I justify my purchase on the grounds that I walk for most of my shopping, and day to day activities. I do some commuting for recording, but generally when I am ' working', I am not driving, I am somewhere walking. For example I am in Rome right now singing, and I have no intention of even using motorized/public transport except for getting to and from the Airport. the Arnage might see 3500 miles in a year, if I drive it most of the time I am home.

All of which is a long way from that sad little video, where I see a well crafted car getting abused. I don't excuse Bentley for having a car that is a real problem, because of their cost, but they should get rid of it instead of abusing it.
Yeah remember though not everyone live in an area where walking/biking everywhere they need to go is possible. Same thing wiht public transportation.

For example, where I'm located there is are a few dollar stores within walking distance and few fast food places within walking distance and that is it. No place to really shop and buy groceries within walking distance. Walmart is the nearest and the nearest shopping places are even further than that. Not to mention they are turning the street into a freeway as I speak no so even walking to those places that are walking distance will not be possible or dangerous to walk once that project is completed.

If a person live smack dab in a major city or other highly developed community then yes walking is probably a good option. Yet, majority of the places outside of those select few places where everything is walking distance, the reality is that driving must be done to get even groceries. Not to mention, that with walking, longer the distance harder it is to carry more than a few bags of light gorceries. Now I'm sure there are fitness nuts out there that could do that but majority of the people are not that fit, and or not that healthy to be able to carry the needed amount of groceries walking back and forth. In some places i nthe suburbs of Atlanta, many places until recently didnt have sidewalks and still to this day sidewalks do not cover the entire path on top of trying to cross a busy streets that was not meant for pedestrian crossing.

Dont get me wrong I think people that are able to walk places should try to do it more but the reality of it is that most people dont have that luxury, cant afford to move into the high price places those convienient locations command, or enjoy being away from the constant hustle bustle noise and crowds and enjoy the luxury of being able to to choose to enter it when they feel up to it instead of having to deal with it on a day to day basis.

Public transportation systems are very under developed in this country overall. In Germany, I drove when I wanted to but usually a train or bus, which seemed to be safe and clean and well maintained, could get me to anywhere I wanted to go even to little small villages that may have my favorite homemade cheese/wine/bread. Here, buses/trains are dirty, have an aura of being dangerous, and usually only cover the metro areas and a person is SOL if they life in the suburbs. Thus they have to drive to get to where they are going.

Price of gas will go up either way even if people all at one time was able to to and chose to go and buy a new car that only gets 46 mpg or more. The oil market people are too greedy to let their profits slip away. Even compared when back in the day when there wasnt much gas to go around and gas had to be ordered and was supper expensive it only amounted to about $2.75-$2.90 a gallon and they made a killing. We are beyond those prices and have way more gas to go around, not as much of sustanable as they thought in the 60s and 70s but more than was available during times of of the 20s and 30s where it got to a point during the war they had to ratio nthe gas out. If we had fuel effiecient vehicles, gas will go up, if we all had cars that got only 10mpg gas prices will still go up. If people slowly stopped driving, gas will go up. If it got to the point where only the rich could afford cars, then gas prices will still go up.

even the goverment isnt serious about fuel efficient vehicles. They still use and purchae large SUVs like the Suburban and pick up trucks with large engines like Dodge 2500 gas, the 1500, F350, F250, F150 on a daily basis for units and offices that dont need it, dont off road, and do not tow anything. Out of the hundreds of large SUVs and trucks in the fleet I see on a day to day basis, only a few hybrid Fusions (two that I've seen.) and the Impala MP/CID cars. Most other units get the trucks/SUVs/ and big 15 passenger vans that barely see four people at a time.

But me personally when they make a smooth riding, nicely styled car, that is roomy, comfortable, and relatively quiet aka dont sound like an asmastic blender, that gets 40 mpg plus then I'll go for it. But as long as they keep putting out these brash, cheap interior looking, insect inpired sheet(plastic) styling, harsh riding, uncomfortable seats, cramped interiors, cars that get good gas milage then a customer of theirs I will not be. I'm not going to torture myself just to save a few gallon of gas.

#6 ·
CaesoniaF said:
Then you would be mistaken (though I know of only one):

Someone Thought It Was Good Idea To Scrap A $300,000 Bentley In Cash For Clunkers!

Cash-for-clunkers gems: Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs and one infamous Bentley meet the end of the road

I suspect that virtually every one of the high-end cars disposed of when this program was active was an act of "automotive revenge & catharsis" for the owners. There are some cars, regardless of original cost, mystique, rareness, etc., that are simply BAD!! As much as it pains me to see them crushed because I think of their perfectly OK brethren, I don't for a minute think anyone would crush a car that could be sold for far more than was offered for it in this program if there wasn't a very good reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.