Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

After a great deal of research, measuring, and locating of suppliers I have finally managed to assemble a great many of the EPDM O-Rings and Quad-Rings to put together several of the commonly needed seal kits for RR363 systems. All are 70A Shore Durometer hardness.

I want to note that I am speaking strictly of the seals. What I've got the equivalents for are:

RH2436 - Height Control Valve Seal Kit $10 US
[FULL KIT, which is only seals, 2 are quad/X-rings]

RH2438 - Brake Pump Seals $8 US
[All seals, beveled metal ring omitted]

RH10067 - Accumulator Valve Seals $8 US
[All seals - various spacing washers, and other reusable original hardware not included. A 1.25" spring clip/circlip is needed and can be purchased at virtually any well-stocked hardware store. The same is true of the wave spring washer, should you wish to replace it.]

plus shipping by the method of your choice.

Please e-mail me at [email protected] or PM me if interested.

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've recently had several inquiries regarding seal kits and had sold out of a number of those I'd put together in 2010. In response I decided to go out and get all the "missing bits" to put the kits I had before together plus add some seals that I had not yet documented at that time.

Here is a link to the current pricing (in USD) document and what's available. If you're interested you can reach me via private message or the e-mail address in the file.

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just bumping this since it seems we've had a recent influx of new SY era owners.

I do this as a service to others in the hobby and have created these kits based upon Crewe Original kits I have either purchased or been loaned from others getting ready to install them on their cars. On that note, I am looking to document the content of virtually every seal kit for the various hydraulic components for the SY series cars. If anyone is willing to loan a kit that I have not yet had the chance to measure and document I would very much appreciate that opportunity. You can be assured that it will be returned to you very promptly. It typically takes me less than an hour to do all the measuring and photographing so I have them back in the mail the day after I receive them.

· Registered
31 Posts
Guy,

After blanking off my 72 RR LWB SS Ride height control valve and stopping the leak, I am ready to order either the rebuild kit or the refurbished kit from Flying spares and if I may ask I have a couple of questions:

1. the one needing attention is on the passenger side rear; is that Right side or left side?
2. Is the seal kit you offer all that I need to reseal, ie. just the o-rings?
3. You mentioned you did this, was it a difficult task?
4. Where do I sent the $ and in what form? CHk, MO, CC

Thanks for all your input,

Gene Mullins

· Banned
98 Posts
My suggestion would be to consider going for both options.

Obtaining exchange items will get your car back on the road within the same day. Overhauling you existing valves, if you run into problems, is that your car may be disabled for some time.

I'm guessing that your return postage may well exceed the core surcharge and if that is the case it may be better to fit the exchange units and then overhaul the old ones at your leisure keeping them as spares.

The bleeding process on these cars passed far greater volumes of fluid than those on conventional cars so the hygroscopic nature of the brake fluid and the internal corrosion it could potentially cause were cancelled out. In many cases this means that when you open up individual valves their condition is surprisingly good. That said, the reverse scenario is possible.

Indicators as to the condition of the hydraulics are the standard pedal pump test, clarity of the sight glasses in the reservoir and the condition of it's interior.

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gene,

genemullins said:
1. the one needing attention is on the passenger side rear; is that Right side or left side?
You're actually asking this question "backward," in a manner of speaking. Right and left sides of the car do not ever switch, regardless of whether the car is RHD or LHD, because the side is determined relative to the side of your own body if you're sitting facing the front of the car in any seat of the car.

If your car is LHD, then the passenger side is on the right. If your car is RHD the passenger side is on the left. However, the right side of the car is the right side no matter what the location of the steering wheel and no matter which seat you're sitting in.

Since your car is in the USA I'm presuming it was a US spec car. In this case the leaking valve would be on the right. As far as a replacement seal kit goes it doesn't matter - these are the same no matter which side the HCV is on. The valves, though, have specific handedness based on the side on which they're installed.

2. Is the seal kit you offer all that I need to reseal, ie. just the o-rings?
Yes. The contents of this kit are precisely the same as the RH2436 kit. (Of course, that presumes that your leak is the result of perished seals. There can be other causes, but they're quite rare.)

3. You mentioned you did this, was it a difficult task?
Yes. It's not impossible, but it's quite tedious getting the HCV removed, cleaning the undercoating off of everything before you even begin taking it apart, and getting the thing back in. The actual rebuilding of the HCV itself was not nearly as difficult as the removal and reinstallation of the HCV and doing all the prep work to get the gunk off the valve before rebuilding.

4. Where do I sent the $ and in what form? CHk, MO, CC
If you decide you want a kit send me a private message. I've taken checks and also been paid via PayPal. I've never had anyone send me a bad check and I generally believe that those of us "in the RR SY boat" are not out to cheat each other (or other people, for that matter).

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, next bump.

For anyone who wants to know the contents of a number of Crewe Original kits for the SY series cars, here's the document I keep on my Google Drive outlining their contents:

Rolls-Royce and Bentley SY Series Hydraulic Seals & Kits

I am constantly trying to update this with data on kits I haven't purchased yet and if anyone is kind enough to lend me one for measuring prior to installation I would be grateful. I no longer publish any size data not compiled by me because there have been several instances where I was supplied with incorrect measurements (and, to be fair, when I first started this effort I screwed up one set royally by doing incorrect math based on entirely correct measurements!).

I also am happy to supply these for a very modest fee to anyone who would like them. I am not in this to make money but to help out fellow hobbyists. All of the measurements are supplied in the document above for anyone who wishes to put together their own collections of seals.

RR363 SY Hydraulic Seal Kit Availability

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.