Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New RR SS owner, I do not have a 10 gallon cache of orginal Castrol RR363 in basement, need to set up a maitnenance regime for our hydraulic system, trying to piece through the various data points out there.

Am told Castrol hasn’t been making RR363 for years, there may be a few liters here and there still NOS for $50 a liter, but not enough to base a multi-year maintenance programe espcially when I‘m looking at a complete flush, refill in immediate future to get rid of all the old hydraulic fluid. Also plan on lots of flushing, fluid replacement, so unsure I can even acquire sufficient Castrol RR363 to keep myself in business for more than 6 months or a year...

There is an off-brand RR363 being sold on ebay but that doesnt seem to be of limitless quantity, either.

Ronnie of Ronnie’s Garage, on his videos, fills the cars he services with Castrol DOT3 and has been doing so for 20 years, with no ill effects. Of all the options, that one seems to have the most future-proofing. Although this project is not economically constrained per se, using cheap hydraulic fluid and performing lots of flushes has some appear when dealing with an old car. If using the Castrol DOT3 destroyed hydraulic pumps you would think Ronnie would have experienced that by now...

Are there other options out there?

Just wanted to see what the collective real-world experience is...have any engines fallen out of vehicles upon transition to another fluid?

if the world is indeed running out of RR363, I would rather move now to the ”next thing” rather than spend my personal time scouting for $50 bottles of NOS...

thx!

IR

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Just buy the GRM product. Your brake fluid needs lubrication and straight brake fluid is not the way to go, RR realized very early in SY production.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Look up YAK363 on these forums if you want scads of information on the substitute I have been using, as have a number of others, for years now. It's 90% DOT3, 10% castor oil (some use pharmaceutical grade while others buy the stuff used to mix with the fuel for radio-controlled hobby airplanes).

You do not need anything besides straight DOT3 for the flushing process. You're pumping it through and out. The final fill will be with either YAK363 or RR363 and the bleeding process gets that out to the endpoints, displacing whatever very little straight DOT3 was used for the flushing.

Flush and Bleed Your Silver Shadow/Bentley T Hydraulics/Brakes the Easy Way

See also "The Collection" thread: SY Brakes & Hydraulics - Diagnostics and Maintenance

Reactions: Lakeb35

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've been using the 90% DOT3 10% Caster oil for about 6 years now without any detrimental effects. I use the model aircraft caster oil although I'm sure pharmaceutical grade would be fine - just a personal preference.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Same here with the pharma90/10 with no issues whatsoever. My winter project is a brake fluid flush and I may use the GRM product. I figure they did more research than I so I'm may thinking it could be better.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I figure they did more research than I so I'm may thinking it could be better.
One might hope so, that's for sure, but I wouldn't bet the farm, either. There's just no way of knowing for certain.

I have e-mailed asking for an MSDS and product spec sheet, and I'll post them if I actually receive them.

But no matter what, at this juncture and with the age of these cars I doubt that any maker could be put "on the hook" for pump failure issues anyway. There's just no way one could prove its their product that caused it (or at least no reasonably easy and inexpensive way, nor one that would not end up involving lawyers and court). Their product may be, and most likely is, perfectly fine. But we're at the mercy of the aftermarket and since I have never seen a full formulary for RR363, I'm wondering if anyone other than within Castrol's walls ever has, either.

It's inference from MSDS and product spec sheets for "the real thing" that the YAK363 formula was inferred.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Here are the MSDSs for GRM and Castrol RR363 products. I leave it to the readership to draw their own conclusions.

I've also attached the Product Data Sheet for Castrol RR363. The same was not supplied by GRM.

Attachments

Reactions: jeyjey
1 - 8 of 8 Posts