Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any shop which sells ALL GENUINE parts (so all parts which are installed in the car) for years between 1980 and 1989? Thanks, Samo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So they have literally all parts? Sorry to ask again but I must be 100% sure not only 99,99%. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
If you want 100 % guenine part in R-R / Bentley packing, you need to buy to a R-R / Bentley dealer, because FX and Intro C, they have guenine and after market, and many seals or other parts are aftermarket.

I would not have they have all parts as some are no more available, and will be aftermarket or used.
It depends what you are looking on.

Could you detail why you ask this in order we understand your concern .

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi,

No one sells ALL genuine parts available for every part.

However thankfully companies like Flying Spares and Introcar who started out breaking RR/B to get us 'useable parts' to keep our cars on the road. They also got certain used original parts rebuilt/remanufactured and these are a useful source again to keep our cars on the road.

As cars for breaking up slowly became less available both companies moved into supplying 'patterned parts' indeed some of these were from the original suppliers to RR/B and are good quality. Both companies also have arrangements now as a 'tier' supply of RR/B genuine parts.

However IMHO both companies also have in the past had patterned parts that are not so good and often been copied and made abroad cheaply in the usual countries we know of.

I have had problems with coils, capacitors, rubbers, hydraulic lifters and a few others that frankly have failed within weeks/months.

Where possible I buy used parts from the RR/B breakers and then refurbish them.

I have been doing this for over 30 years and indeed did a lot for FS on various parts back when the first started up as they were local to where I lived at the time.

Indeed I totally replaced virtually every part on my RR SS1 with the help of Ben (owner of FS) at FS. He would give me the parts I needed which I would refurbish then fit to my car. I would then refurbish the part off my car and give it back to him to sell on.

No real cash passed between us and when parts were required like service kits for SU pumps, the Saginaw steering pump, chips for the VDO clocks, Lucas stepper motors etc.... he would supply these with the parts to be refurbished.

I still do a lot of this work for friends and club members but being retired I would never have the capacity to service this amount of work anymore, especially how you see the size the two companies have grown in the past 30 years too.

I still do RR clock repairs (not the VDO quartz as no one will sell me the 'chips'), SU Pumps, window regulators and several other items and keep a full stock of fully refurbished parts but I do not sell on commercially just for friends and club members.

So in brief you just cannot get 100% genuine parts anymore for every part on the cars and the car manufacturers actually are not legally liable to provide these anyway after a certain period.

Hope this helps but interested why you ask...........

Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jean7, Steve E, thanks.

My question has a simple background; I do not own a RR car ... yet. And to be honest, one of biggest reason for it is situation with parts. I do own 1992 S class Benz (500 SE) and I am spoiled: i open EPC base for parts on my computer and I order a new one or at least I have a part number which helps me to find a used part.

So my question was launched to check if i can get any part. Ok, I must admit that to me aftermarket parts (if good) is also acceptable. The problem is if one cannot find some part anywhere, and that was my question.

Steve's answer is long and educational. If I understand you, NOT all parts ((i)new genuine or aftermarket or (ii) refurbished) are available. So something is still not clear to me and this is a core of my question; what about the owners of RR car who take their car to the RR shop? Do they receive a comment from the shop head like this: "sorry Sir, we cannot find a part for your car because your car is too old."

Or: "Sorry Sir, we do not have genuine brake calipers (figured out just for example) for your car but we can install an aftermarket part made in Bangladesh."

So I hope my question is more clear now. Thanks.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi Samosali,

That is about how it is.

I often help source parts for my local garage when they get a RR/B in for work.

Here in UK we do have some superb garages that will look after your car and source 'suitable parts'.

When I was in France it was virtually impossible to find any garage to do work on my RR.......not that I wanted much from them anyway.

However parts can be sourced to keep these cars on the road and there are forum members who just about know every alternative that will assist.

I have a large stock of parts I built up but this was mainly for supporting my own RR knowing things get difficult to obtain at times.

You should not worry going after a RR for supporting parts but ensure you get help and understand what to look for before making a purchase.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve ... I wish I were you regarding RR cars and parts :).

I will be on my own (not considering this forum) once I will be in a position to maintain the car. In addition, to be dependent on a forum makes me nervous, I guess I am not the only one.

Your answer tells much. Somehow I understand that if I am persistent and inventive (which I think I am) I will get parts but the way to get them may in many cases be different in comparison to my current situation (my Benz W140).

best, Samo

·
Registered
669 Posts
Samo,

I own several classic cars including an old Ferrari, MGB and Lotus.

You should never feel you would be left on your own.

I have organised parts for RR owners all over the world that have not been able to source parts.

Even one owner who owned an old Chinese eye RR in Australia I sourced Piper window parts for him that are extremely rare and when limit switches were not available I found suitable alternatives and shipped these over.

Many forum members, me included will be happy to 'giveaway' parts to help keep other owners cars on the road.

You only have to search member Robert S (wraithman) and look at what he has achieved on his RR restoration.......it should be in a museum.

I do a lot for friends and club members and don't even charge....just ask they give a donation to an animal charity......and perhaps a bottle of whisky for me.

You will not be short of any support, but again it starts by buying right, as a bad purchase can cost a fortune to put right and end up costing more than paying the extra for a well sorted car in the first place.

I am always open to a few weeks working vacation if adequately kept fed and liquified..........:x

·
Registered
609 Posts
Whether you own a W126 Mercedes or a Rolls Royce, nobody sells 'all genuine parts' , not even the dealer. If you'd like to take a look at the introcar or flying spares catalog, you'll find that it's very comprehensive and almost as detailed as EPC. Unless you're planning on building one from scratch, the combination of introcar / flying spares + dealer + dismantlers will get you everything you need.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve, you sound like a gift from heaven. I always considered buying a RR in UK because there is a big concentration if them I guess. The only problem is steering wheel on a right side and in this case "right" means wrong :). I mean in technical sense. Maybe I should turn off my ratio and think more about having steering on a right side. accepting it would mean less costs for me and much bigger pool of selection.

I will memorize your words ... like you say ... I am an amateur in RR cars and buying one on my own would not end happily I guess. BTW, money spent for fuel for cars and humans ;-) is best invested money in my opinion. I actually developed this opinion in my youngest days when there was extreme shortage in fuel in this strange country.

Alabbasi, thanks for your answer which is reassuring.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
DO not worrySamosali, you will find nearly everything, new , aftermarket, used....
In UK , they have all parts which were used on several generation.
Then some small companies are reparing ECU and other parts no more available.
There are dismantlers ....

Frankly, parts is not an excuse not to buy those cars.

On the official Bentley website, you find many things, including workshop now

https://heritage.bentleymotors.com/

On more reason to buy a Bentley !

I have a Mercedes B CL . W140, maybe more difficicult in the future to get part for this exceptional car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jean7, wauuu, I did not have idea about the page you sent the link. Incredible ! I just took a quick look and it made an impression.

I have got everything for my W140 so far. Once or twice I had to wait a week or so because they just started with manufacture of exhausted parts. There is a saying that you can always get new genuine parts for a Benz. This is not completely true; some owners of W140 have problems to get keys and remotes for the door locks/ignition switch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... BTW one more thing; BREXIT complicates my life so much and I guess all lives of RR owners out of UK. Can we say that costs for having a RR will increase for ca 30% (taxes + custom) after BREXIT?

·
Registered
720 Posts
samo, there are thousands of RR/B left drive cars in the world. While it may be less expensive for RHD cars, there are many options. Pick a model, look (and drive) for the best. Enjoy your car.
ps, I had a W140 Grand Edition and I loved it.

Mark

·
Vendor
151 Posts
We can also think about "Genuine RR" parts a different way. The only "Genuine RR" parts left are New Old Stock. Fast moving regular service parts are sourced by Bentley (who is now our only source for "Genuine RR" parts) from the lowest cost provider that meets Bentley's minimum standard for quality and function. Bentley probably manufactures nothing in house for vintage RR/B. They receive it from their vendors and put it in a Bentley box and call it "Genuine Bentley".
RR stockists used to sell "Original Bentley" cylinder liners in Bentley boxes - and aftermarket cylinder liners - side by side. The aftermarket liners were a little bit less money. They both came from the same vendor. Bilstein makes aftermarket RR dampers and I don't think anybody has a problem seeing a Bilstein sticker on their dampers even though they're not considered original equipment.
As full disclosure, I manufacture and source an ever expanding list of vintage RR/B parts that are equal to or better than original equipment and sell them on my site.
Kelly

·
Registered
609 Posts
There is a saying that you can always get new genuine parts for a Benz. This is not completely true; some owners of W140 have problems to get keys and remotes for the door locks/ignition switch.
Unfortunately those days are over. In the era that your car was being built, Mercedes Benz only had 5-6 different models in their lineup and they replaced models every 10 years. The simplicity in the model lineup made it easy to carry inventory for older cars due to the limited variability in parts.

If you take a look at their model lineup today, you'll see that they have more than 30 different body styles. These variations (coupe, suv, wagon, convertible, SUV coupe , shooting brake etc) means that they have to carry a lot more new part inventory because of the variations which in turns means that slow moving parts are getting the push. EPC will get you a part # but you might not get the part. The replacement key issue is a real travesty that's impacting cars that are less than 20 years old and is also common to W210's and R129's. It has resulted in perfectly good cars getting scrapped.

Mercedes Benz right now riding on their reputation of the past. In reality, when they sold Chrysler, they extended their model lineup to become Chrysler in their effort to expand their market. Their business practice reminds me more of British Leyland than the Mercedes Benz that I grew up with. Worse still, companies like TRW and Lemforder and getting pushed out of supporting our cars in the aftermarket business by Chinese sourced parts suppliers such as URO parts and Meyle who make substandard parts for 1/3 price. I would expect that running an older Mercedes is going to get a lot more expensive in the future.

That's my rant on this subject.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
As full disclosure, I manufacture and source an ever expanding list of vintage RR/B parts that are equal to or better than original equipment and sell them on my site.
Kelly
Kelly, this is another impressive and new information to me, thanks!! I agree on example of Bilstein dampers. My W140 has Bilstein springs now, it is much better than drive with broken ones :). Originally there were Sachs as I was told, but who cares. I guess the Sachs which was built in when my car was made are again different than Sachs which can be purchased today. So conclusion is that once the part is replaced, it can actually not be "genuine" any more unless it comes from the SAME production line as a part which was built in the car originally.

Mercedes Benz right now riding on their reputation of the past. In reality, when they sold Chrysler, they extended their model lineup to become Chrysler in their effort to expand their market. Their business practice reminds me more of British Leyland than the Mercedes Benz that I grew up with. Worse still, companies like TRW and Lemforder and getting pushed out of supporting our cars in the aftermarket business by Chinese sourced parts suppliers such as URO parts and Meyle who make substandard parts for 1/3 price. I would expect that running an older Mercedes is going to get a lot more expensive in the future.
Alabbasi, this is all correct in addition to your previous thinking. In this moment I do not have any problem with my w140. This is unfortunately a big reason why I am not having a RR yet, too. W140 is so simple to maintain and so simple to repair that I can do everything on my own, except transmission and differential repairs. So far differential is ok, transmission died after 400,000 km but it was fixed for 1,600 eur in less than a week.

samo, there are thousands of RR/B left drive cars in the world. While it may be less expensive for RHD cars, there are many options. Pick a model, look (and drive) for the best. Enjoy your car.
ps, I had a W140 Grand Edition and I loved it.

Mark
Mark, RR cars are extremely rare in my area. The nearest one was Shadow however it was in a bad condition with mud under the hood, nobody touched it in last 10 years. The last one was Silver Spirit, this one exactly:

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/rolls-royce-silver-spirit-dt-auto-scheckheft-h-kennz-gasoline-black-cefb7896-c82f-4a17-858c-df25935e8017?cldtidx=15

400 km from my home. It is not in good condition even if it looks fine in pictures. It has 75,000 km on clock but it looks like it served for educational purposes at some elementary school for mechanics for last 70 years :). It is unbelievable to me how some people treat their cars. BTW every lining in this car was stripped and not placed properly back. So my biggest problem is if I want to check these cars I need to take a tour over whole Europe (1 month?) or make 2 or 3-days trips to check each car individually. I have a friend who imports cars from California to Netherlands however he does not know anything about RR cars (like me).

Why did you sell your w140?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Samo,

Look for a LHD model. I spent 15 years in South France with my cars which are all RHD and it was not 'comfortable' is probably best way to put it.

Front passengers always seemed nervous too most of the time and it was not my driving skills.:eek:.

Some countries like Japan do use RHD and LHD cars but that is because when so much traffic on the city roads they like to be able to exit the car kerbside.

There always appear some RR/B LHD cars for sale in the Netherlands and other Europe countries if you check out carandclasic website for cars for sale.

As well as the Bentleyheritage site you will also find on the internet free downloads of all the technical workshop manuals you would require.

Not sure of your concern though with the forums. I have owned my cars since the 70's when there was no internet forums and it is much easier today to get all the help and advice needed than it was years ago.

All the best

Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Look for a LHD model. I spent 15 years in South France with my cars which are all RHD and it was not 'comfortable' is probably best way to put it.

Front passengers always seemed nervous too most of the time and it was not my driving skills.:eek:.
Steve, I agree, I cannot find any reason to have a RHD car except the price, which would of course be ridiculous to consider at first place.

As for my "forum concerns": of course it is extremely good to have internet and guys like you nowadays, however I consider myself "a man of action". When my W140 has a problem I fix it immediately. In worse case it takes 2 or 3 days due to parts from Germany or eBay or so. For many things I even do not need to see manuals or diagrams etc. Being dependent on forum means more time to fix the situation I guess. Waiting for responses ... then to decide which one is optimal, etc. Please do not misunderstood me, I will be extremely grateful to receive any help ! This was not the point of my remark at all. My remark sounds in translation: "Oh, owning a RR means the end of my independence, and this makes me a bit uncomfortable". Of course, I am totally aware that without this forum and your support it is not possible to have a RR car, which makes things clear ... which is good :).

best, Samo

1 - 20 of 59 Posts