Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Corniche Convertible #05039; 1960 Austin Healey 3000
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 1982 Corniche (first RR) since last December and I continue to notice issues that can be frustrating. I had great success with a local Rolls specialty shop fixing many long-neglected maintenance matters. An ongoing frustration is when the car is warming up, the engine will "studder" for a few seconds while accelerating from stop. If I mash the accelerator it minimizes. Once the engine comes up to full temperature - the problem disappears and accelerates as it should. I had new injectors, spark plugs, filters, etc. installed. The only injector not installed is the 9th one used for starting - which will be done shortly. Perhaps someone else has experienced this niggling problem in the past and has a possible solution. I live over 150 miles from my RR tech, so I do have a long-time Mercedes tech who has agreed to look at it - particularly for the hot start issue normal to these K-Jetronic cars. These are matters I can live with, but prefer not to. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wraithman - I need to drive up to Vancouver Island and bring my car! My Mercedes carb tech will install the new injector - hopefully next week. I think it is no secret that I do not have the skills/tools to do much with my car other than the simplest projects. Having been around technicians for over 60 years I am somewhat conversant and can follow some of the technical threads. I am the eternal optimist - thinking that physical things have simple solutions - particularly in this community with many years of experienced owners/techs.

BTW - my Corniche cold starts quickly, but requires a second try as it dies after the first start - immediately. On the second start it runs and idles as it should.

I will give a follow up comment once the tech finishes his work.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wraithman - I just heard from Albers that the starting injector nozzle is no long available - at least from them. Time to go searching!. The accumulator was not replaced on my last extensive service. I'm thinking my local tech can handle both that and installing the cold start injector nozzle. Can nozzles be refurbished?

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
Have your tech run a can of Brakleen through the cold start injector. Use the nozzle tube that comes with the can, remove the injector, connect to a power source, insert nozzle tube into injector and flush. As long as the solenoid in it works and the Brakleen flushes it clean it should work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Jim I was able to find a "take off" injector in England, but think your suggestion makes more sense and will do that. The previous owner said that the injectors were all replaced (last fall), but I now question where he might have found them if they are no longer made! Is the cold start injector unique - different from the others?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Some injectors are simply nozzles. The cold start is electrically tiggered and can be removed and ultrasonically cleaned to perform like new. Any injector service company can handle this only if the injector is electrically functioning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts