Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to the ownership of Rolls Royce. I have read that these cars have a very distinctive interior smell? Is this correct? The car interior is very clean and I have had the front seats apart to repair the power seat motors and there is no visible evidence of any substance that would constitute a smell eg. mold etc...

Thank you all

·
Registered
92 Posts
you should smell only leather with some kind of wood combination. nothing else, if car is stored in high humidity condition that exactly creating kind of smell which you maybe describing

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello

Thank you for the reply. The car has been in Florida most of its life and now resides in Canada. What are the effects of the humidity on the interior?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello

Thanks for the replies, there is no mold I had the carpets out chasing an electrical issue. and seat cushions. It is getting better car has been in regular use. It seems like there is a strong smell of leather? is this normal?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes, the leather smell is normal. Use a good quality leather cleaner and conditioner like Gliptone Liquid leather. Clean and condition the leather and you should have "That Rolls Royce smell"

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Nice car. I wonder if the previous owner has hidden a leather smell air freshener in there somewhere? Just a long shot guess.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, the leather smell is normal. Use a good quality leather cleaner and conditioner like Gliptone Liquid leather. Clean and condition the leather and you should have "That Rolls Royce smell"
I'll have to pick some of that up, my car still smells like the cat that lived in it :(

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hello All,

...I have read that these cars have a very distinctive interior smell? Is this correct? ...

Thank you all
The ''distinctive smell'' you refer to is the one from the Connolly leather. Connolly was (and is again) a UK manufacturer of leather. They used an organic tanning process that resulted in this characteristic smell which, to my nose, smells of honey, christmas trees and arabic male perfume.
This tanning process is now forbidden as apparently it was not that organic after all.
Unfortunately, few vintage RR still carry that fragrance as most smell of mould and wet horses.

·
Registered
315 Posts
JP...haha you are exactly right, mildew and more mildew smell with a touch of gasoline in most, it was one of my first tasks and proudly, accomplishments to get rid of the offensive odor in my car, when I first got it my wife wouldn't ride in it because of the musty odor, now it is thick with the smell of leather and quite pleasant actually.

Cheers!
Jon

·
Registered
720 Posts
jonnyc I had the same problem with mine. My wife would not ride in it. Now, after conditioning the leather, removing the boot carpet and a quart of Febreeze, she is happy.

Mark

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello All,

That's the smell I am getting! The reason I inquired is my wife will also not ride in the car! It has gotten much better as I drove it most of the summer and had it aired the car out quite a bit. Thanks JonnyC on all the tips on getting that smell out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can anyone here recommend a leather conditioner that would work will with the Rolls . I have many articles on Gliptone? Has anyone here tried it?

Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Again, I will refer you to the Chemical Guys website, I use the leather conditioner and it has a nice leather smell as well, I have never tried Gliptone. I once tried Hide Food from the RR dealer, it actually would take the finish (paint) off the leather, not at all compatible with my vintage leather.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I actually used a few different products at first as the odor was pretty bad, I went to my local West Marine store and bought different sprays and solid air freshening blocks, I figured if they can take the odor out of my boat considering the environment it lives in, surely it would help the car...and it did, now I just maintain with the leather fragrance. I keep a product in the trunk (boot) at all times similar to the link below, and it keeps it fresh, no gas smell no nasty mildew smell:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/delta-tackle--air-sponge--375850?recordNum=2

·
Registered
720 Posts
Emi, I have been using Gliptone for over 25 years. Ever Since I had a MKII Jag with a rear seat as hard as cardboard. It took several weeks and many applications but the leather became soft and supple again. I thought that was impossible. Of course others have their own opinion, and that's fine. Clean your leather with a cleaner of the same brand so there is no issues, then condition the leather. I find that applying and rubbing in with your bare hands works best. Then give it a buff. You should be good for about a year.

Good Luck!
Mark

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have also used Gliptone for many years on all my cars with leather interior. With regular application it imparts a lovely new car leather smell and keeps the leather soft.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts