Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm working on my Rolls Royce Silver Shadow 1 - Vin LRA12814 - Year 1971 to find why it wont start anymore and i'm stuck, i turn around....

Resume :

I was driving the car then it suddenly cut off. No strange noises, no exhaust smoke or noises, no engine noises... nothing. A net cut.
Note that when the car suddenly stopped, the dashboard signal of the generator and oil were "ON".

Here when i try to restart, i turn the key and nothing happening (no starter, the engine wont start, only the 2 signals genertor and oil are ON).
I have no electric supply to the ignition coil (positive), no elec supply to the fuel pump, i only have elec supply on the wire "white/red" on the starter relay.

I tested the ammeter shunt and it works.
I tested the "gear change circuit cut out relay" and it works but note thar i have no electric supply on the 2 rear plugs at the rear of this relay (maybe its normal).
All my fuses are good.

For me, i think its an electrical problem but i'm out of ideas.
Is there any other thermal/heat fuse to rearm on this car ?

Anyone have an idea to explore?

Regards

Gaet from Belgium

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Start Does it turn over? or does it not. OR does it turn over but not fire?
Attach a test lamp to the coil NEG and ground. See if it flashes if it turn over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This happened to me once 1969 SShadow.
On the left rear wing area, in front of the windshield wiper motor and slightly over the A/C suction valve actuator motor was a wire with a split connector. The connector had come dislodged. I cleaned it up, pinched it a little to make it tighter, and drove away.
In retrospect, I think that this was a primary lead to the distributor. See if the distributor primary is getting power, if not, trace the lead wire back a bit. Also, check the resistor on the distributor, that also sounds like a sympton.
The oil and gen lights are on because the engine is not running: no running alternator and no running oil pump.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
It's a good practice to clean all spade connectors until shiny and protect with electrical grease. This small effort pays off. Don't forget the ground hubs which are shown in the workshop manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts