Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever considered buying one or even owned one?
Yes they were voted in the top ten ugliest cars but many of todays top classics were once considered ugly such as Daimler SP250 Dart.
The reason I ask is because they scream out bizarre to me I also see beauty in the beast. About only 500 were ever produced and they were developed at huge cost.
I was at my mechanics yesterday and he has a loyal customer that has spent quite a lot on if to keep it alive including changing liners due to a seizure of a piston which I witnessed some months back. Now the car has apparently been to Spain and is now back for a new radiator etc. Fantastic dedication.
It got me thinking that this is the Concorde of cars, it will never be made again, totally unique and from a former era.
The interior is fantastic, the doors huge and even the door handles works of art. The wide grille totally unique and the 5"headlights so weird. From certain angles it looks spectacular, especially from the side. If only the wheelbase was wider on the back.
So-Is it me who just thinks this? they are generally so unloved and cheap but I think it would be great to own one.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Camargues are a love 'em or hate 'em prospect design wise. They're as worthy of ownership as any other car from Crewe, but for myself I have never been able to warm to the design and I don't buy cars that I don't like to look at.

I have a cyber-acquaintance from my days in the RROC-US who owns one that had been his grandfather's and have known a couple of others who've owned them.

Any look at the classic car market shows that rarity, and rarity alone, is not enough to make a car "desirable." It's the whole package and, at times, that whole package is found lacking no matter how rare the car.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Some parts of the interior, such as the climate controls, I really like.

Other parts, particularly the pushbuttons/warning lights at the for corners of the plastic squares, are just bonkers. Might have looked OK with some Royal Oak-style slotted screws there or something, but a mishmash of other buttons, lights, knobs?

I also want to love the Aston Martin Lagonda, but it's similarly difficult (more-so on the exterior there).

Cheers,
Jeff.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I have thought buying one. In France now they are expensive indeed. Very good condition examples are rare.
A man I know had one with an original Silver Ghost.
Very original 2 door car, my favourite.
Yes the climate control is futurist and the interior is really representative of an era.
The instruments/dash looks a little like an aircraft inside.

I like the front, not really the rear but globally this car is for me a collector.
This period, 70ies/80 ies, could be compared like the famous " années folles " and the Camargue is the icon of those successfull years. years

If I was looking for one , I will choose one with LHM, the last ones.

Jean

·
Registered
195 Posts
I must have peculiar tastes as I like both the Camargue and the Lagonda. It must be the wedge shape! In the 80's I had a Lotus Elite and an Excel also wedge shaped. I have actually bid on a couple of Lagondas without success but they are horrendously expensive if anything goes wrong. When I started looking a reasonable Lagonda was £15-18k but they seem to go for a lot more now!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think they are as ugly as a bulldog licking p+++ of a thistle and consequently would have one tomorrow! :) Fabulous cars with details to die for, but the styling... oh dear. I was reading about the development and release of these recently which was 'tricky' as RR were under the receiver at the time but who turned out to be surprisingly helpful. Also, the cost of these new was staggering!

For a long time over here they were relatively cheap but seem to be going up in price/value quite spectacularly, as is only right.

As for the Lagonda... absolutely fantastic cars! I particularly like the later, facelifted cars (which make me odd apparently) and would love to drive one but I would prefer to on the Rolls-Royce.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am a big Camargue fan.

My grandfather was a RR owner and used to get "Queste", the magazine for RR & Bentley and I found one with a feature on the last of the line Camargue - special editions with CD players and TV's installed, back in the 80's . I still have this magazine today. Ever since then I was a fan of the car. I always liked the blend of English and Italian.

And I really like the dash - like an aeroplane dash!

Infact, it's my second favourite car from Crewe, after the Continental R.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The Camargue was never a popular car during it's production, so it will never be popular as a classic. Pininfarina did so much better on the Ferraris 400 series, which was designed during the same period.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The Camargue was never a popular car during it's production, so it will never be popular as a classic. Pininfarina did so much better on the Ferraris 400 series, which was designed during the same period.
While this is not always true, I concur with your opinion about the Camargue. Opinion on it runs "hot" among a very select few and "cold" among many more. Within any collector community that does not bode well for a car that's been out of production as long as the Camargue has. If it were going to be warmed to that would have happened long before now.

This is a car you should buy if you actually love it, but not with any idea that its value is going to skyrocket. I expect Corniches and Shadow DHCs, though produced in far higher number, to be far more desirable than the Camargue could ever hope to be.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I am a big Camargue fan.

And I really like the dash - like an aeroplane dash!

Infact, it's my second favourite car from Crewe, after the Continental R.
That is my opinion too. When I was much younger, with no driving license, I had stick on the wall of my bedroom the 2 pages of a "newspaper"

So having both coaches from RR & B could be interesting. But for me absolutely an LHM one and LHD.

I like the front, I like the profile,I like the rear, I love the interior.
This car is part of the 80ies symbol.

Do you know that only one Bentley Camargue was officially produced by Crewe, with Bentely grill and emblem.

One thing is sure, few people appreciate this car, and I agreee you should not buy it for speculation but because you rally want this unque english/italian mixture.
Special Camargue Parts are very expensive too.

Jean

·
Registered
3,448 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
At any rate, no matter what one thinks of the Camargue, it's fit and finish is top notch.
It's been a while since I've seen and ridden in one, but from what I can remember, I think even the under side of the boot was finished _ even on the inside up to the catch.
Probably one of the reasons why it was so expensive at the time.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Asking price and the price you'll get are two distinctly different things.

There is a snowball's chance in **** of getting 130K Euros (approximately $140K USD) for a Camargue, even in spectacular condition unless a sucker of a buyer is found. There are a lot of people who own Rolls-Royce motorcars that have gross misapprehensions regarding their market values and their cars remain unsold as a result.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The one that I got a ride in was bought for around 20,000.00 Canadian and was in pretty good original condition.
It may have been even less then that, but that sticks in my head.
The guy who bought it was from Alberta, had many cars and was frugal, so I know he didn't pay allot for it.
He would get tired of one car, sell it and pick something else up, making major and minor repairs to turn them over.
Did it just for fun.

Notice the one in the add has no photos of the engine bay _ probably a horrendous mess...
For 130,000.00 Euros it had better be clean enough to eat off of.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I agree and remain very surprise by this huge price, probably irrealistic of the Camargue market. The seller is an unknown professionnal outside Paris in a little "village".
It looks like the guy believes he has something unique in hands.

It might stay long for sale, very few people may be interested.

Moreover, it has carburetor, not injection and probably RR 363 and not LHM

So not the most interesting in my opinion which are the last ones with injection and LHM.

Car speculation is very active in France and thousand of this kind of professional have grown since few years.

But they don't sell so much, the bubble is fat and ready to brake any time.

Jean

1 - 20 of 42 Posts