Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to remove a dead window lift motor from a ’73 SS. I have encountered a severe gumption trap as the motor has cooked it’s windings and is all the way up so can’t get to the bolt that holds the bracket on the chain to the window rail. My next thought is to use a hole saw to chew a hole thru the door panel to expose the bolt. I would greatly appreciate any ideas before I make the hole.

Another river to cross and mountain to climb.

The OM

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does the window frame unbolt and lift off like the Spirit ones? althought personally I go for the hole cutting option...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The window frame appears to be fastened to a slider that is connected to the chain with one bolt. Also it appears that you must roll the window down to reach the bolt. Hard to do when the motor is dead. We have the factory "Work Shop Manual" and it mentions "one bolt" in passing. Great pictures though.

The OM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I see what you are suggesting. I may be able to pull the window frames loose from the body to gain some room or lift the motor and window out together. Don’t know off hand but will certainly take a look this morning. This is turning out to be much more fun than I had anticipated.

The OM

·
Registered
109 Posts
On the Spirit there are bolts at top and about 3/4 of the way down. Might be behind rubber bungs.

Have you tried hitting the motor with a hammer to see if it frees off?

This is turning out to be much more fun than I had anticipated.
Its a shame that they werent made by Mercedes....
Had my Bentley for 3 weeks and have spent more time putting things right on it than I have on my 86' Mercedes 500 in 4 years.

·
Registered
109 Posts
38 years?

I was refering to my 1986 Bentley and my Mercedes of the same year.

Apart from tyres and an exhaust the only mechanical part I have replaced on my Mercedes is a front ball joint. £15.00 in the 4 or 5 years I gave had it.

Bentley so far, rear windows go down but not up. Central locking has a mind of its own, leaking sphere. Closing the doors makes a noise like an early Mini with turn handles....

Heating sytem on Bentley is a joke. Temperature control is ok but theres no control over where the heat goes...... apart from into the car.......Heat from a facia vent doesnt warm my feet....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gremlin said:
Had my Bentley for 3 weeks and have spent more time putting things right on it than I have on my 86' Mercedes 500 in 4 years.
Hi Gremlin,
fortunately for the mercedès ! :D
I've also a 500 SEC with my 97 Bentley, and i spend a lot of time putting things right on my Bentley, and never on my mercedès.

For me it's a really pleasure on the Bentley, but it would be a chore on the mercedès. :wink:

I'm in love with the so british touch of class of my Bentley, but my Mercedès is just a very good car for everyday.
It seems not possible to compare. :wink:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: rolls '73ss window motor

rollmech said:
If it was made by mercedes it wouldn't have character and probably not last 38 years !!
My earlier comment was meant as a joke and thought you were refering to a 73 shadow . As every lover of english niche cars know, they all have there quirks/ faults that all adds to the "character" of the car. We all know the german's build cars that have a quality that doesn't need tinkering with, but I think the pleasure of driving a Rolls far out way the niggles .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have worked on all sorts of cars for over 40 years and it looks to me that RR nd Bentley never kept up, just relied on their name....

I mean... the window mechanism.....cables to keep the glass in line while it goes up and down? Looks like an afterthought because they used some old parts that didnt work properly...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gremlin said:
Have worked on all sorts of cars for over 40 years and it looks to me that RR nd Bentley never kept up, just relied on their name....
i agree with you for that, but the quality of the finish, and the completely British sophistication ( why to do simple when it's possible to do complicated :D ) of the car, are all its charm :wink:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Window motor removal

No need to hack bits off or go through the door. The motor can be removed insitu.
There are only three small bolts(9/16) me thinks holding the motor to the mech. they are a bit of a bugger to get to but it is possible.
By the way, it is the same motor as the widow wipers.
Col.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Window Motor Removal

Oh, and by the way I have a Merc also, give me my beautiful Rolls Royce any day of the week. The Merc is like driving a tractor in comparison. The only thing the Germans did get right was buying our beloved Marque, otherwise it would have gone the same way as the Bismark.

Col.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Window motor removal

Mmm, is not difficult. They are located to the left of the motor. I guess it is either fixed by now or set fire too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts