Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur, Mulsanne Green
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the tires in my ‘99 Spur when I first bought it slightly less than a year ago. Tossed the old Avons (no miles but hard and rode bad) with new Continental. Rode great at first. Then put all new brakes on the car and now it feels like the wheels are out of balance.

I have tried to find a tire shop that will balance the wheels on the car but none of ours do that any longer. Any thoughts on what else it could be or should I just rebalance off the car? Why would they go out of balance if not for the brake rotors themselves being out of balance?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hello my friend….

Funny you mention that….I am in the same boat. I have a vibration at expressway speeds and seems to be less on smoother surfaces but it’s still there. I am not even going to call myself a mechanical novice as I am at the lowest of low on that spectrum….but here’s a thought.

When I first purchased my 1997 Bentley Turbo R and tried replacing the original wheels with my Turbo RT Wheels, they didn’t fit. I did learn that I needed to replace the “wheel studs”. Could this be the culprit?

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Have the tires "road forced balanced" Rotors do not cause an imbalance at an speed. You may feel a pulsing if the rotors are not flat when braking.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have the tires "road forced balanced" Rotors do not cause an imbalance at an speed. You may feel a pulsing if the rotors are not flat when braking.
That was done originally. No one does static balancing any more. But yes, you can still have issues with any rotating assembly, even a brake disc, although I agree it is unlikely. I just can’t see why the wheels would go out of balance in such a short time. No potholes to knock wheel weights off or anything.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are the symptoms at all speeds (more likely to be a suspension issue) or at certain, particularly higher, speeds (more likely to be tire balance)? I think Wraithman is spot on, road force balance may be the only answer. I had it done on one of my cars and it made all the difference. This is a VERY common issue on SZ cars.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the symptoms at all speeds (more likely to be a suspension issue) or at certain, particularly higher, speeds (more likely to be tire balance)? I think Wraithman is spot on, road force balance may be the only answer. I had it done on one of my cars and it made all the difference. This is a VERY common issue on SZ cars.
High speed only. I had the wheels road force balanced when I put the tires on less than 10 months ago. I know it feels like wheel balance but don’t understand why I would need that again when the only thing that changed is all new brakes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't have a hypothesis for why the brake work would have effected it. Assuming you can easily return to the shop that did the initial RFB work, it's a pretty cheap diagnostic to see if the wheel balancing needs to change. If it doesn't there, obviously, is something else going on.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It's a heavy heavy car. Do you think that you might have flat spots? I don't have to park my CL65 for long before i get them.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Check lug nut torque or re-do. The tire guys set to over 100 ft lbs and can distort rotors. Wheel bearing could also be on it's way out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Another thing, since you mention brake work, if the calipers are not fully releasing or opening, the pads may make light contact with the rotors causing them to overheat and distort, when that happens the car can go from a light rumbling feeling to an all out shaking like a leaf. Just some food for thought

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a heavy heavy car. Do you think that you might have flat spots? I don't have to park my CL65 for long before i get them.
I thought that was a possibility but I am driving it every day and the tires are new. I’d be surprised if they are already flatspotted but it’s always a possibility.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check lug nut torque or re-do. The tire guys set to over 100 ft lbs and can distort rotors. Wheel bearing could also be on it's way out.
I just replaced all wheel bearings fore and aft.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
New bearings may have to be re-visited to make sure they are seated. I had this happen once.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another thing, since you mention brake work, if the calipers are not fully releasing or opening, the pads may make light contact with the rotors causing them to overheat and distort, when that happens the car can go from a light rumbling feeling to an all out shaking like a leaf. Just some food for thought
good input! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
BTW brake pads normally scuff the rotors at rest. You certainly do not want a "gap" between the pad and rotor. It will definitely cause a delayed braking response.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes not a gap certainly. But a little too much grip and you're off to the races so to speak!
It can rattle your bones!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wheel imbalance shake (felt mostly through the steering wheel) can usually be driven through. i.e. It only happens in a particular speed band. Slow down and it will stop, go faster and it will also stop.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Wheel imbalance shake (felt mostly through the steering wheel) can usually be driven through. i.e. It only happens in a particular speed band. Slow down and it will stop, go faster and it will also stop.
Yes. I understand that. I have owned 400 cars. And wheel balance will not always come through the steering if it is the rear tires. We used to say wheel balance showed at 30 and 60. I feel my problem most noticeable at 70 mph plus.

You all are getting me to rethink wheel balance as the issue, however. Since the brakes and wheel bearings are what changed and the problem occurred post-work, I am thinking that it must be related to that. I am also going to recheck my tire pressure.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If bearings were replaced, some things could not go right... I.E. damages of bearings while montage, bad clearances etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts