Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have a 69 series 1 with a factory fitted rev-counter and altimeter in the dash.
Also an ice detector under the front bumper. Is this common? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Having a pic of your dash would confirm if these were installed after delivery. RR would not install anything if it did not fit the overall look of the dash and other gauges. A factory build sheet, can be ordered from Hunt House and will confirm what's installed in your car as delivered.
I highly doubt it was original from the factory, but could be proved wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the factory build sheet - they were fitted at the factory and blend in perfectly. Also two extra gauges below the dash.
All specified by the purchaser. ( Birmingham whistle company ).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a dash photo.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is fantastic. A testament to R-R's willingness to meet customer wants. I've seen a Cloud with an altimeter in a similar placement but never a Shadow, or the rev. counter in place of the clock. There's another gauge in the center just in front of the ashtray that I can't make out too. What's that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was ordered in 1969 by the grandson on the right of the photo - Leon Clifford Hudson- of the Hudson whistle company.
I would really love to know how rare this specification is. Thanks again for the comments.
Head Outerwear Photograph Coat Beard

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the information.
Is there any way to know if this is the only shadow with a rev-counter? In your opinion does it increase the value of the car?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Does it increase the value? Not really. Buyers want a sorted car with up to date services, rust free, etc. At the end of the day it's "what do I get for my money?? ..a rev counter or a car with no issues?.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have rebuilt all the hydraulic systems on the car.
It develops a ticking sound at times when hot and idling. Brake pump or sticking tapped I presume. Even though I have rebuilt the pumps.?
The car also needs to be repainted as soon as I have diagnosed the problem.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
If the car has to be repainted...it sinks the value of the car since a good paint job on one of of these can easily be 15k and higher. I have painted several and know what's involved.
Did you replace the pump rods and check the filter screens within the reservoir?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts