Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Some of you may remember I was on here quite a while ago having been given a Bentley Eight that had sat in a hedge for nearly a decade. Anyway I'm finally getting around to starting to bring it back to life. I stripped the interior to let everything dry out, most of the leather is in salvageable condition thankfully. I had to pull the starter and give it a clean to get her running and the engine sounds like a Swiss watch (a very very large Swiss watch).

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I gave her a general service and all seems well, there's some rust here and there but nothing structural.
The power steering isn't doing anything and the rack was leaking so I pulled it off to inspect it. It really put up a fight! it looks pretty rough under the bellows :(
Now I just need to get the HUGE nut off the end of the rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The nuts attaching the downtime to the manifold were very rusted and in removing the m the threads on the studs got a bit minced. Getting these studs out of the manifold was another ordeal, that also put up a good fight. One port has a black sticky residue in it, the rear one. Hope it's not a bad omen.

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
A brave man that takes on a barn find
The steering rack looks like it has seen better days, I agree that's not a good sign on the rear of the manifold, you might find it will burn off when the engine is up and running properly again and everything loosens off

Good luck with bringing it back to life

john

·
Registered
186 Posts
The nuts attaching the downtime to the manifold were very rusted and in removing the m the threads on the studs got a bit minced. Getting these studs out of the manifold was another ordeal, that also put up a good fight. One port has a black sticky residue in it, the rear one. Hope it's not a bad omen.
If you have had the engine running and it didnt smoke there shouldnt be a problem

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have had the engine running and it didnt smoke there shouldnt be a problem
It did smoke but it was mainly black sooty smoke on acceleration so I assumed it was a fuel issue rather than engine problems. Maybe a leaking injector in that cylinder?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the encouragement everyone, It's going to be a long road. My plan right now is to get her on the road and then sort all the mechanical gremlins before starting with the cosmetics. Experience has taught me when a car has been stood a long time it's only when you drive it for a while that all the problems become apparent. Should keep me busy for a few years :)
Very inspired by Richards restoration of his flood damaged Rolls Royce, mine should be a cakewalk in comparison.

·
Registered
410 Posts
There's not many of these about now due to prices being very low. I would just get it on the road and run it on a shoestring using breaker.s yards etc.
That way you're the winner and enjoying cheap great motoring.
Rolling restoration hack, work in progress.
Nice one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking good.
Certainly agree with your mechnicals first and cosmetics later approach
Starting into a similar project myself as time, house, other work and funds (funds Oh the funds:crying) allow
Guessing by the plate you're in Ireland, I'm in co Laois myself
Best of luck with it

·
Registered
440 Posts
Brave and with lots of patience I hope.

Nice to see one getting saved. :)

Don't write down what you're spending on her . . . it will have you in tears :( Even doing all the work yourself.

Good luck with the project :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's not many of these about now due to prices being very low. I would just get it on the road and run it on a shoestring using breaker.s yards etc.
That way you're the winner and enjoying cheap great motoring.
Rolling restoration hack, work in progress.
Nice one.
I quite like the idea of a Bentley beater :) According to howmanyleft there's only 39 still registered in the UK (no idea how accurate that site is). I wonder as an entry level model have a lot of them become parts donors for Spirits and Turbo R's?

and I'm in Wexford, good to see that there are a few active enthusiasts here on the mainland!
Looking good.
Certainly agree with your mechnicals first and cosmetics later approach
Starting into a similar project myself as time, house, other work and funds (funds Oh the funds:crying) allow
Guessing by the plate you're in Ireland, I'm in co Laois myself
Best of luck with it
Great to know I'm not the only one here with this affliction :) It's going to be a slow process as I also have to work around time, house, other work and lack of funds. :(

Brave and with lots of patience I hope.

Nice to see one getting saved. :)

Don't write down what you're spending on her . . . it will have you in tears :( Even doing all the work yourself.

Good luck with the project :)
If I wrote it down I'd be afraid the wife would find it :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
When the classic car enthusiast was lying in his bed about to die, the Priest asked him if there is anything he regrets or is scared about. The men answers: ''I am scared that my wife sells the cars for the value I told her they cost me...''

·
Registered
43 Posts
When the classic car enthusiast was lying in his bed about to die, the Priest asked him if there is anything he regrets or is scared about. The men answers: ''I am scared that my wife sells the cars for the value I told her they cost me...''
and i thought i was the only one being economical with the truth :|

STOG, keep us posted re. the project progress. love to see the pics

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when the classic car enthusiast was lying in his bed about to die, the priest asked him if there is anything he regrets or is scared about. The men answers: ''i am scared that my wife sells the cars for the value i told her they cost me...''
:d:d:d

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rack was full of mud and grit, right where it meets the pinion. The teeth are worn and the inside on the cylinder is pitted. It's all nice and clean now and the seals are replaced but I know it will leak again. Maybe I'll get a year out of it :(
P1030531.jpg

P1030535.jpg

P1030532.jpg

P1030536.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone know what this is? I found it down the front of the engine bay rattling around!
Also I want to test the steering pump before I put the rack back on, any thoughts on the best way to do it? P1030548.jpg

1 - 20 of 72 Posts