Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Silver Shadow RHD, 2013 Nissan Leaf, 1986 Toyota RV, 2000 Nissan Frontier, 2006 Honda ST 1300,
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is there a way to easily repack my rear wheel bearings? Do I need special tools? I'm reading the manual (section J) and it says I need to tighten the nut 500 lbs. and I'll need some special tools Do I need to go that far into the hub? 1970 Silver Shadow.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Yes the stub axles have inner and outer Timkin bearings just like the front. The inner bearings can only be removed once the rear hub is split on a hydraulic press and then properly re-torqued to 525 with a new nut as well. Unless the bearing was underwater or truly worn, greasing them is rarely done.

·
Registered
1970 Silver Shadow RHD, 2013 Nissan Leaf, 1986 Toyota RV, 2000 Nissan Frontier, 2006 Honda ST 1300,
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My back brakes froze up, smoked, and hot grease spilled out of the back of the rim. The brakes have been fixed but I'm just worried about the bearings. I'm wondering if I should replace those bearings?

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
Replace the bearings, they will be blue from the heat if the grease got hot enough to spill out. Whatever grease is left will not be lubricating very well anyway. You will need special tools to pull the yoke off the shaft and to torque the yoke nut to 525 ftlbs. Kelly at British Tool Works has a yoke puller, or you may wish to ship the hubs to him and have him do the job. I do them mail order too but the expense of cross border shipping is prohibitive so I only do them for Canadian customers.

·
Vendor
221 Posts
i have the pullers in stock:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Kelly. Thank you. I'll need the bearings and the nuts as well. Is there somewhere here in the USA that I can get those? Are the bearings specific to that car or are they standard size?

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Also, it is adviseable to change out the oil seal as part of the overhaul. Note : you will also have to set a clearance within the hub, so I would read up on that.

·
Vendor
221 Posts
Thank you. How about the two nuts. Can I get them somewhere here in the US? Do you sell them? I hear they have to be changed each time and I'm ok with that.
I have a long list of items I’d like to add to my site including rear hub nuts but I just can’t find the time.
The nuts should be replaced with new once removed. You’ll have to call Albers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Being a 1970 model Shadow, the rear outer housings will have the original felt seals and not the later lip seals if the rear hubs have not been overhauled previously. I suggest installing the overhaul kit mentioned below should be a priority especially if you live in a location subject to winter snow and ice as the felt seals are prone to admitting water from melting ice trapped in the wheel arches after driving on snow-covered roads in winter.

I used RRMC Shadow 1 outer rear housing felt seal overhaul kits when replacing the rear bearings on DRH14434 which was a UK-delivered vehicle [Yorkshire] subsequently exported to Australia..

I strongly suggest you replace the original felt seals with the later lip seals conversion kits if these are still available when replacing the bearings. Expect some difficulty in removing the drive yoke from the stub axle if water penetration has occurred; a hydraulic press load of 120 tons was necessary to separate the drive yokes from the half-shafts due to corrosion from water leakage into the bearing housing.

All you need to know is in the workshop manual TSD2476 which is available as a free download from the Australian RR Technical Library:

TSD2476 Hi-Resolution Version

(y)

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Due to the nature and scope of the work involved, such as a hydraulic press, a torque wrench capable of reading 500+ ft lbs and general experience with this......The rear hubs are available on an exchange basis and you will realize this would be a more practical solution at the end of the day. List all the parts needed and any shop time and the many hours of breakdown, cleaning and installation and you may strongly consider this option.
Note: the exchanged hub assembly comes with a new brake rotor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts