Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to all this.

Just bought my car, and the dash and one door capping need the laquer stripping and renewing, a job I plan to tackle this forthcoming weekend.

The dash appears to be quite straightforward to remove, but very unsure about how to remove a door capping. I would also appreciate some advice on how to remove the mirror surrounds on the C-pillars too.

Whilst on topic, is Nitromors the best way forward for the stripping, or would I be better with an hot air gun?

For re-coating, I'm planning on using two-pack laquer, which is available locally in aerosol form. Did some touch-up work on another car with a two-pack aerosol can (used an hair-dryer on it between coats) and was amazed with the quality of the finish. I expect to put about fifteen coats on the wood to make them look original as the laquer is very thick.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Remove the window switch escutcheons by very, very gently easing them out which is best done with two very small screwdrivers trying to lift each side a tiny bit then the other, etc., etc.. The legs on these things are very prone to breakage if you're not careful.

You must remove the interior door panels, which if they're held on the same way as the Shadow series, by gently prying away from the door to release the metal clips that hold them in place. There may or may not, I can't remember, be screws that hold the door handle to the door frame itself. If so these have to come off before the panels.

Once the panels are off, you'll find six set screws across the top area of the door that hold the cap rails on. Remove 'em and lift out the cap rails.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My old man did the same procedure that the gentlemen suggested to you, thats a very safe and sure way to do it without damaging anything, even if your new to this. By the way, what's the chassis number? Just wondering.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow! Thats a very descriptive resource. Thanks a lot, Brian. It's difficult to find a free, easy-to-use, simple, yet descriptive handbook online. I learned a few new tips. Thanks a lot man.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
You're most welcome.

All I ask is that those who know about and use the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club of Australia Technical Library become "evangelists" for it.

This is one of the best online resources for Rolls-Royce Motorcars from all eras, bar none. We all owe the RROC-A and especially the members who took the time to scan all this material our deepest thanks.

For those who might own or be interested in owning an SY Series car (Shadows and derivatives) another excellent site dedicated to these cars exclusively is Marinus Rijkers' Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow Site.

I'll also "toot my own horn" a bit and recommend my Rolls-Royce and Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration, and Other Resources Compilation. It's on the USA-centric side since that's where I live and where I've received the most recommendations for additional entries. There are some in the UK and Europe as well. Additions from other corners of the world are welcome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No worries, Brian. We will definitely be "evangelists" for it. Also, I have spent the majority of my life in the U.S. so that will be just fine for my understanding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank-you very much for all your help and advice. I've removed all my laquer-damaged wood now, and stripped half of it with the hot air gun.

Very easy to strip.

Hopefully I will start spraying it all tomorrow.

My car seems to have spent most of it's life in Southampton. Chassis number:

*SCAZS0003GCH15102*

Would be great if anyone knew about the car.

Many thanks
Paul

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Be very, very, very careful about using a hot air gun to strip these!!

The veneer is terribly thin and it's possible to burn or warp it with a hot air gun. I've not done my wood myself, but the universal advice I've received is to use aircraft stripper.

If you need to sand at all do so extremely lightly with very fine grit (600) paper as the veneers are incredibly thin.

Also, consider posting a before, during, and after photo. (Or, in this case, a during and after photo.)

On another note, the "shorthand chassis number" for your car using RROC conventions is SAG-15102, which means it's a 1986 Silver Spirit. If you're interested in how that's derived, download the SZ Series Chassis Shorthand Derivation table.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice Brian.

All stripped and rubbed down now (I used very fine, worn sanding pads). I was very careful not to scorch the wood when stripping too.

I'm a decorator by trade, so have some experience with the stripping and prep work.

I will photograph them before I spray them, and after too. Hopefully they will be done tomorrow.

Thanks again
Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

[/img]

Cheers Mr. Afrosamoorai!

Two pictures of my progress thus far, one stripped, and one laquered.

Will probably flat them down tomorrow then polish them with rubbing compound then T-cut.

Probably won't be quite as good as they would've been originally, but a massive improvement on how they were before I stripped them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
WOW! How exquisite! Most excellent job!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already have half of it back in, though I'm not entirely happy with the door cappings.

Going to take them to a local body shop and ask the chap if he can laquer them every time he has some out.

I will post a dash pic tomorrow when it's all back in.

Next job is to source an upper rubber strip from the rear bumper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts