Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1997 Turbo R is back from the shop and while the air conditioning is now working wonderfully, the remote no longer communicates with the alarm ECU. Otherwise the alarm functions as it should, screaming wildly if I don't get the key in the ignition fast enough after unlocking the door with the key.

I've replaced the battery in the remote, and the remote shows a red light indicating it has transmitted a signal.

I wonder if this has something to do with the trunk latch being semi-jammed. It would close, but wouldn't open completely because something stored in the trunk got caught in the latch. That problem being rectified with a rapid latching and unlatching of the trunk.

Thoughts?

·
591 Posts
I think something preventing the latch from closing properly or opening would send a fault to the alarm ECU. I had the Mastercheck on a 95 Spirit III today running through the security card. There were 26 items to check for correct alarm ECU operation, the trunk latching being one of them. I'm not sure though if it would store a fault in the ECU and prevent operation of the remote once the fault was repaired. Try switching the isolate / alarm switch in the glove box to isolate and back to alarm and see if that resets it.

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. Unfortunately I don't have that switch in my glovebox. Apparently it was only on earlier cars.

By any chance is it possible to apply the Mastercheck to a vehicle remotely via laptop, and do you offer that service?

·
591 Posts
Unfortunately the Mastercheck has to be plugged directly into the socket in the car, there is no way to do it remotely.
Have you pressed the reset on the CDL circuit breaker in the glovebox? Do the other doors unlock when you unlock the driver's door with the key?

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the other doors do not unlock when I unlock the driver's door with the key. IMG_20200803_141952.jpg

I don't have the CDL circuit breaker in my glovebox. At least not that I can see.
Here's the inside of my glovebox:

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could this be the alarm battery in the siren under the front right fender? Does the battery also run the screaming of the alarm, or just the communication with the remote?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Yes alarm battery siren runs the screaming too. This battery is very important in all the system.
If it was never replaced and if you are sure to have a siren with battery like Clifford alrm in Europe had in 97, I strongly suggest you replace siren with a new one with a battery

All 97 Bentley do not have necessarly Clifford alarm, for Europe yes, for other countries not necessarily.

have you a picture of you remote or are you sure its a Clifford alarm ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes alarm battery siren runs the screaming too. This battery is very important in all the system.
If it was never replaced and if you are sure to have a siren with battery like Clifford alrm in Europe had in 97, I strongly suggest you replace siren with a new one with a battery

All 97 Bentley do not have necessarly Clifford alarm, for Europe yes, for other countries not necessarily.

Hello Jean,

Could you please drop my a private message, I would like to ask something but as a brand new member I'm unable to start a private conversation. :)

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

My remote looks like this...

IMG_20200629_153138.jpg

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
It looks like a type of Clifford, so you might have a siren with battery.
One sign when the siren battery is dead is that you get strange bip when you loock or unlock with the remote.
Was it the case before ?

You could contact Bowling Engineering in UK to take their opinion.
There are chances in my opinion you have a bateery in your siren and I will start by this. Not easy to get it in the front right wing, but if the battery is ooriginal, you will have to replace complete siren as it probably leaked.

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was getting a 'bip' but I don't know if it was strange or not, as I've only had the car for a few months. The loudness of the siren is still quite strong though, for a weak battery, it seems.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If you were getting a bip or 2 that's normal, but if you were getting several bip , that is a sign of weak battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts