1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
My guess is that it was originally covered in vinyl. My 1978 SSII has precisely the same type of vinyl on the horn button as in your picture.

I have seen photos with polished metal horn buttons, but like many things Rolls-Royce I'd imagine the change from polished metal to vinyl covered occurred when the polished metal button supply ran out. There are many changes in these cars based on nothing more than when one type of an item ran out and the later type became available.

Since the Shadow II came out in 1977 I'd suspect that this is even more likely to be the case.

Brian, who will be curious to see if any other 1976 owners have the vinyl covered button and/or whether any have the metal one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Horn Button

judging by the pic, The one you have was covered in Vinyl (Black Ambla) to be precise. Someone has cleaned off the old glue.
They do have a habit of creaping back and looking a bit tatty.
Hide covered ones were Opt extra, or USA. Stainless were earlier cars then Opt. There are new adhesives now which work much better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Covered, but I think it was a safety issue as much as a aesthetics exercise? . . reflections etc.

The previous ones were brushed stainless not polished. So you could probably scotchbrite it to that finish although it looks like yours may be steel?

As mentioned, they do tend to peel back :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts