Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started restoring a 78 Shadow..Deep cracks and discoloration in the varnish..I was soooooo careful as to not get in to the verneer, but alas, I found it to be paper thin and so I began looking for new verneer...wow...

I went to my local mastercabinet maker and he showed me some special order thin "formica" that was a deep cherry colored burl pattern with a high gloss finish..It was gorgeous..I had to order a sheet that was 10' long X 4" wide...The shop cut out my new dash and several pieces for the glove box and trim around the glove box....It is BEAUTIFUL !!! The nice thing is, it will last forever and will remain high gloss forever too..I am thrilled...I took the balance down to the woodworker and I am having him cut it into sheets that are 5"long by 10" wide, in case anyone else wants to redo their dash.....

As indicated, I am thrilled, but a true detail person may be horified, but I would challenge 99.9% of people to see if they can tell the difference between my dash a a brand new dash ( except mine will last forever and need no special care or refinishing...

Your thoughts please....??

Lee Benson

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad you had good results and are happy. Not being critical, know from selling a 1987 Spur about three years ago. Wood not perfect, little waves, but not fully cracked. Several potential buyers nick picked these minor wear imperfections. So if you sell it be prepaired for these types. One guy wanted $6,000 off as a wood refinish allowance. Pointed out at Tony Handler or Crewe Cutters, you can buy all the wood used for $1,400 U.S. Buyer countered that it would not be the original pattern as installed and made for the car by RR. Other than some extreme perfection types, you probably did well! :D

Others, its a long time consuming process, but the Shadow Companion does have a chapter covering doing so.

or

Not a DIY and not a total purist:

http://www.rau-autowood.com/replacem.htm

Have not priced the above, but considered doing it to my other Spur and guess the above kit would be under $2,000.

Three years ago $1,400 was quoted for all the wood bits used but good condition at:

http://www.crewecutters.com/

If memory correct above owned by Tony Handler's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RR Dash rebuild.

To date I havea total of $250 tied up in theredo, and I have enough material foranother 7 dashoards...I will try to get some photos posted soon...

Lee

·
Registered
68 Posts
IT'S STILL FORMICA. How could you. :x
whatever next, plastic Flying Ladies.
hey just kidding, as long as you are happy :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Formica

The ethos of Rolls Royce and Bentley was If it looks like leather it is Leather, If it looks like wood, it is wood and last but not least if it looks like steel, it is steel.
Not an imitation.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Well I have been biting my lip on this one but as Colin started it well I will say my bit.
If you own a Kia then you get plastic if you can’t afford a Rolls Royce /Bentley then you shouldn’t have one.
Why did you do it?
Are you from a trailer park with No brains?
I think you need to see a doctor and have your head examined.
Put it back to how it was manufactured and sell it and get yourself a Kia.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Keyword (AFFORD). Bottom line Gentlemen. You get what you pay for. Buy a Rolls-Royce, Get a Rolls-Royce. Buy a Kia, Get a Kia. Now where the brain needs to be in the process, I don't really know. But I do think Money has got something to do with it.

·
Administrator
452 Posts
I hate to butt in on a lively thread, but there is more to being a Rolls-Royce owner than having a lot of money.

Everyone is quite welcome to criticize the choices that others make with respect to the restoration of their cars etc. But personal insults will not be given much leeway here on the forum.

That kind of chatter is for Kia owners. Not for owners of the finest marque in automotive history.

(No offense meant to Kia owners. Comment made for illustrative purposes only).

As well I have a personal affinity for property rights. If you own a Rolls, Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari or whatever and wish to paint it pink, put on 24" tires and some chrome spinners that is your choice. You may be mocked for it, but certainly no other owner has the right to demand that you return your car to the way it left the factory.

Thanks for understanding.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
All I am going to say is
when I first had a R&R I wasn’t a rich Man (still NOT) when it came to doing the work she needed I save up and still had it refurbished to a standard expectable to the Marque
Fitting after market parts is one thing abusing a car is a nuther
It doesn’t mater if it is a Kia or any thing ells isn’t right and I will stick to my last post
If you want me to shut up then you have the power to do that but we are hear to preserve the Marque not abuse it

·
Registered
68 Posts
'Wood' you believe it!

Was it something I said.
Just to clarify, I was only refering to the car and the Marque, not the person.
I have to say though, If I saw it I would have a burning desire to set fire to it. Question is does Formica Burn. Colin.
:roll:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello Fellas,
It's highly appreciated that there are others with the same feelings about the Marquee and the Quaility of the fine Driving Machines that B'smooth have. (Rolls-Royce and Bentley). I'm with you guys about sticking to your post with the hope and respect that the issue is not what we say, but how we say it. Being the craftsman that I am, Formica would never make it into our projects ever unless the customer want what we have done for some. Replace the plastic with a real wood finish. But people have the right to their own choice. Our woodworks are real and original / custom as well as our interiors, carpets and convertible tops. Yes Jacko, formica will burn and melt at the same time. However, it is so true that there is more to owning a Rolls-Royce than having a lot of money, but it helps. Visit our site Jacko and highlight the restoration drop down menu and click on woodworks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wood or woodn't u

B'Smooth. had a blimp at you're site. Impressive. Nice sofa. Did I mention I was into Leather, ha ha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
formica dashboard

Many months ago I posted a comment on my use of formica to replace the badly cracked and blistered dash on my 78 shadow II. I was kind of amazed by the responses....First off, many commented on how tacky I was and I must live in a trailer park....To those people I have this to say....#1. Think about all your dashboards, that are made to look like a beautiful piece of polished wood....Is it a beauitiful piece of wood , or a chunk of cheap wood with a paper thin veneer to make it looks real ?? Veneer is a a cheap illusion for a real solid piece of wood !! My Dash has generated MANY comments on how GREAT the REAL WOOD dashboard looks. To this day it is still gorgeous.....I would NEVER apply a cheap, paper thin, veneer over my new Dash. If I had unlimited cash and liked to pay thru the nose for inferior quality products, I guess I would not buy oil filters that are not made by Rolls Royce but by ac delco, or use an after market starter that works better than and orig. RR starter and is 1/4 the cost.... Guess I need to sell my beautiful home and move in to a trailer.... #2. I am almost out of the formica, as I have had so many requests for it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts