Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my rear view mirror has the silvering fading, some dark spots, I know a gent who took his apart and found GM markings in it...wondering if anyone knows what mirror they used. I would like to replace it if possible...any sources would be appreciated. My front visor vanity mirror is also de silvering but to a point that makes it useless, my plan there is to place a new piece of mirror over the old as I don't want to get in to taking the visor apart.

Cheers!
Jon

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the same issue with my original rear-view mirror, so I'm curious as to the advice offered as well. For regular use, I have a newer, larger, more convex mirror that clips over the original. But when I show the car, I remove it.

On a related note, I understand that inexpensive, stick-on mirrored tiles from home-improvement stores make good replacements for the rear seat vanity mirrors. I don't plan to find out first-hand until I'm ready to send out the wood trim for refinishing. Has anyone here tried that?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Just remember that if you can remove the mirror itself you have the option of having it re-silvered or take it to your local glass person and have them cut exactly to match.

I wouldn't try to get the mirrors on the sun visor out, but if memory serves the rear mirrors are easy to remove once the surrounds are out and I think the bezel on the rearview mirror is held in place with small set screws, but I could be wrong on that and it's too dark right now to go out and check.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quickly looking at it, I'm not sure if I take it apart, its going to go back together. Hmmm

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not seeing a way to taken it apart that won't leave me with an entirely broken unit...if anyone knows different please advise...I may be missing something

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody have any info on this?? Can't find a replacement or at least I haven't yet.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Excellant! I will call them tomorrow to see what parts they have for my latest project.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm the "new" mirror arrived (pictured) and it measures around 8.25 inches at the widest point, however, the mirror in my car measures almost 10.5 inches.

The stem appears the same but the mounting cover is different, must be from an older SS1. My original is also pictured.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
**UPDATE**
as it turns out the replacement mirror I ordered is an 8" mirror from a 76, I have put my research in high gear and have come up with the replacements.

I mentioned previously that I knew that the mirror was a GM mirror because someone I know opened his up and found some sort of GM markings, It is a GM mirror. They used the 8" mirror in the earlier models and a 10" mirror in the later models.

There are a couple of options, the first is a GM 911366 mirror, that mirror has a polished stainless casing but the mounting and sizing is correct for the SSII.
The next option is exactly the mirror in the SSII and it after researching it I found that the mirror used is the identical mirror that was used in the 74-76 Corvette!
The mirror is available from Ecklers and its part number 25-114638-1 that would be the "exact" replacement

Simply Google GM 911366 and you will come up with a plethora of suppliers stocking the stainless casing mirror.

The link to Ecklers:
https://www.ecklers.com/1974-1976-corvette-inside-rear-view-mirror-25-114638-1.html

You will also find the 8" version if you dig around on these websites.

Hope this may help someone someday.

Cheers!
Jon

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Excellent detective work Jon. I'm printing the thread for my database.
Thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Forgot to mention I found an easy solution to the front visor mirror as well which I'll post later

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the visor vanity mirror what I found is an acrylic mirror sheet that is easily cut with scissors, it is available in stock at Advance Auto Parts and I'm sure others keep it in stock as well.

I just made a paper template of the opening in the visor, laid it out on the mirror material and made it just about 1/8 inch bigger.
It easily "snapped" in to the leather surround and over the existing and useless mirror. The acrylic is flexible and rather thin, it does come with double sided tape as well but I found I didn't need it as the leather retained the mirror just fine. It works really well and looks like its always been there and I still have enough material left to do other mirrors, very economical.

Here is a link to what I used.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/k-source-cut-to-fit-replacement-lens-7-inch-x-10-inch-cp100/6210011-P?navigationPath=L1*14919|L2*14990|L3*15450

1 - 15 of 15 Posts