Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 Silver Spur
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a Silver Spur 1984
That has a low ride height on the left rear. approx 2' lower that the right side, I have replace the gas springs (pressure spheres) both sides, left side does rise after driving a mile or two still a bit low compared to the other side. the coil springs are not broken, I've tried different position on the adjustable height valve rods both sides with no difference. I also have put spacers in the coil spring on left side as a test, made no difference I've removed them after fitting the gas springs.
My thought was that the left gas spring had lost it's gas charge and therefore only getting pump pressure? This car is in a rust free state and has had a lot of work done on it. overall a 8.5 out of 10 car! after an extended trip 5 miles or so the rear left does rise about 1.5" Making it about an inch lower than the other side.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Malcolm

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just some thoughts: If gas springs are new, they should not loose pressure. The gas inside them are pumped with high pressure once and sealed for life. They should work for at least 5-10 years. If spheres are empty/broken the suspension is very stiff but should be leveled properly. Often hydraulic fluid starts to run from various places too...
Be sure, that there is no air in the system. There is bleeding point specially for rear struts. I believe you checked already if springs are identical... It is possible, that left rear strut just needs to be replaced, especially if your car has tendency to swing diagonally. It is a good idea to check front suspension too.

Check archive... and manual...

·
Premium Member
1984 Silver Spur
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've recently purchased a Silver Spur 1984
That has a low ride height on the left rear. approx 2' lower that the right side, I have replace the gas springs (pressure spheres) both sides, left side does rise after driving a mile or two still a bit low compared to the other side. the coil springs are not broken, I've tried different position on the adjustable height valve rods both sides with no difference. I also have put spacers in the coil spring on left side as a test, made no difference I've removed them after fitting the gas springs.
My thought was that the left gas spring had lost it's gas charge and therefore only getting pump pressure? This car is in a rust free state and has had a lot of work done on it. overall a 8.5 out of 10 car! after an extended trip 5 miles or so the rear left does rise about 1.5" Making it about an inch lower than the other side.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Malcolm
Just some thoughts: If gas springs are new, they should not loose pressure. The gas inside them are pumped with high pressure once and sealed for life. They should work for at least 5-10 years. If spheres are empty/broken the suspension is very stiff but should be leveled properly. Often hydraulic fluid starts to run from various places too...
Be sure, that there is no air in the system. There is bleeding point specially for rear struts. I believe you checked already if springs are identical... It is possible, that left rear strut just needs to be replaced, especially if your car has tendency to swing diagonally. It is a good idea to check front suspension too.

Check archive... and manual...
Hi! szdowk Thank you for your input. I think I've bleed the air out of both sides, re:- the left rear strut it does move a bit after driving which leads me to believe that the strut is not siezed up also there is very little pressure going to the strut compared with the right side? the rear of the car bounces freely after exhausting the pressure in the system so I think that the ride height strut is free enough just not getting pressure to that side, however even under that codition the rt side rear sits 2" higher that the left??

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi! szdowk Thank you for your input. I think I've bleed the air out of both sides, re:- the left rear strut it does move a bit after driving which leads me to believe that the strut is not siezed up also there is very little pressure going to the strut compared with the right side? the rear of the car bounces freely after exhausting the pressure in the system so I think that the ride height strut is free enough just not getting pressure to that side, however even under that codition the rt side rear sits 2" higher that the left??
First you need a manual. Check The Rolls-Royce and Bentley Technical Library site for it, like there: The Rolls . Look for TSD4400, Section G. Unfortunately early systems are some more complicated than in later cars (>=90). So there are more elements than just strut and leveling valve, like i.e. minimum pressure valve etc. It is possible too, that you have just too low overall pressure in hydraulic system and you should start with repair of hydraulic pumps... You will be not sure of anything if you just do not measure pressure... I suggest, that you will need a specialized help...

Anyway please notice, that the car could fall down uncontrollable while you perform works with hydraulics and valves. So be very careful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts