Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Brooklands - the rear end "bounces" severly going down the road - it appears that there are no leaks :?: Any thoughts as to what to look for.

Also, vehicle will not start on ocassion, when this happens it sounds as if the timing has jumped way out initially as it starts to crank then it cranks normally -- but - will not start - then if you let it sit and try it several times it will start right up - when it does the initial cranking sounds normal. Is there an advance mechanisim in place upon cranking I should look for that is malfunctioning :?:

Any and all help is appreciated - Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a '90 Turbo R earlier this year and the ride quality was horribly bouncy. Had the rear suspension accumulator spheres replaced (about $1200) and now it rides like, well, a Rolls Royce. The difference is so dramatic it feels like a new car.

So far I have not experienced the starting problems you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You know, I had ther same rear end bounciness and I just R&R'd my rear accumulators and honestly it didn't make much of a difference :?

We bled the system thoroughly and per the RR manual, and it feels *slightly* better than before but not what I was expecting. Maybe it's just the firmness of the Turbo R's suspension that I'm finding it hard to get accustomed to. I guess I was expecting it to "waft" more like my T1 did :roll:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the rear strut spheres and it took care of the "bounciness". I still am experiencing the intermittent crank - no start - I think it may have something to do with the key switch. Unfortunately it never does it long enough before starting that I can narrow down to whether its a no spark or fuel issue. Once it wouldnt start long enough I was able to see it had both fuel and spark - but then it started up. At times while cranking it "kicks" and more often than not after the "kick" it will start upon the next try. I am at a loss here, I think I will try an ignition switch and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Marc,

I would suspect a fuel pressure issue first. The Bosch CIS system has a few pieces that act to keep pressure at the fuel distributor and injectors even after the car has sat dormant for some time. You'll want to check the accumulator and the pressure regulator. The beauty of the Turbo R's injection is that any competent European car repair shop can properly inspect and diagnose it, as it's the same system as found on '80s-'90s Mercs, Porsches, Ferraris, etc..and it's a very durable system to boot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts