Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I think I've got a rear damper issue and would appreciate some guidance. I've noticed that the car (RR 1988 Silver Spur) when switched off is lower on the driver rear side than the passenger side by about 2 inches. This gradually got worse over the last few months from about an inch to two inches. Once the car is running, the leveling system compensates, it levels to the correct height. I figured, probably very stupidly, that since the system is leveling correctly before I set off anywhere that I may have some time to get this addressed. I've recently however noticed the mineral oil level light has come on temporarily and gone off again. I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that the leveling system is taking additional mineral oil from the reservoir and pumping it into the rear suspension strut to compensate the additional lifting need (i.e. its doing what it should do to correct a temporary phantom additional load), but its not correcting back until I switch the car off again because the issue is with the damper.

Question 1 - if additional mineral oil is being directed to the rear suspension to compensate, is this creating a potentially dangerous low level of oil which could effect the brake system i.e. a worsening damper will consume increasing levels of mineral oil to compensate the suspension problem, which may now negatively impact the levels required for the brakes?

Question 2 - how easy is it to remove and replace a rear damper? I don't have a lift, but do have a trolley jack. Is this doable? I'm having trouble finding decent instructions in the workshop manuals, and clearly don't want to mess up and de/pressurization that might be needed during this replacement.

Any guidance would be super appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If it's that way when switched off then it's a spring problem, not a damper problem. The springs are known to sag. You can get inserts to jack them up a bit, but if you're looking at 2" I'd replace both springs (it's only a matter of time before the other sags).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Haven't checked the springs. Will do that next. Are you both referring to the gas springs (as opposed to the coil springs)? Would be a little cheaper and less hassle to replace these than the dampers that's for sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something weird happened yesterday - I went through the process I found on this site (Inspecting Rolls-Royce and Bentley hydraulic systems) for depressurizing and repressurizing the hydraulics to help diagnose the source, and discovered that the rear end has stayed completely level (same on both sides) for the last 24 hrs. If one of the coil springs was getting suspect, wouldn't that still be the case now? Lot of head scratching going on here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another thing to check - the spring "cup" that is the lower mounting point of the spring can rot and give way. Its worth checking while you are looking as its eventual failure is dramatic and possibly dangerous.
Whatever it is, good luck with the fix!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts