Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any better rads out there for the Turbo R? Anyone had a better one made, bigger core, better materials etc?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
If you are relating to the one for the coolant, it is more than adequate for the car. If you are experiencing very high readings on the gauge, you may assume it's a poor functioning radiator or inaccurate gauge reading. I bet if you pull the upper hose off and use a flashlite, you will see mineral deposits on the internal tubes. Time for a new radiator core.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wrathman. More a precautionary measure as the head gaskets are now being done. Was hoping there might be something better than adequate, or that can help reduce the heat a little more. No issues with the running temps other than knowing the weak points.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Gasket failure on this model has been traced to the gaskets themselves and more often the driving habits of the owners. One thing for sure is to let it fully warm up before going into orbit.
You know the HG job is a big one, sometimes equal if not more than the cost to acquire the car in the first place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, certainly is a big job. And not inexpensive.

Mine was fully warmed up when I accelerated up hill on the A20/M20 from about 60mph to 100. Had just returned from Goodwood so had been driving an hour.

Should be back on the road in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Warm up is important but coolant replacement as important.
If your coolant was not replaced regularly by quality antifreeze mixed, not pre mixed, that is a known reason for weakness and big troubles

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Probably some readings and comments over the years.
Generally talking, Mercedes for example , that I know well enough, is only selling antifreeze that you mix with distilled water.
Bentley is doing the same, Porsche too, others major brands too.
Mercedes as a special antifreeze we several actions.

When you mix a quality antifreeze with distilled water, you know what you mix as you are supposed to know the quality of your antifreeze and there are many standars, from low to high quality.
When you buy a premix, you don't know what kind of antifeeze they use, and most part of the time, this is a medium to low quality.

Of course pre mixed is much more simple, no preparation, no mistakes, but the seller makes double profit because he premix for you and above all , use an unknown quality antifreeze to mix and generally talking a cheap coolant to make more profit.

In our time, if you want quality, do the things yourself....

Of course there are certainly some high quality premi, but of course they are not the majority and you will pay the company who prepares it for you.

All the quality brands I know recommand you do your mix because this is the best way to use a high quality antifreeze which is very important for engine protection.

Coolant is as important as oil, as surprising as it may seeem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are there any better rads out there for the Turbo R? Anyone had a better one made, bigger core, better materials etc?
Does the Turbo R have the same Behr plastic rad as the later cars? Cos if so, it is advised to be replaced at the 100000 service on the BMW!!

That is why Flying Spares developed their own proper metal one!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, plastic tanks on the Turbo R radiator. Flying Spares aluminium one going on it.

Any thoughts on water pump replacement while the work is being done?

·
Registered
388 Posts
As an owner of more than one of these genre's I must say that my experience is that they never really get hot. They must have designed a one size fits all for all climates. I did once change my BEHR plastic rad on my Conti R due to top tank seal not holding pressure test. Got a service exchange from Introcar.
I personally think that the cooling system is perfect with the original rad. (Which is more than I can say for V12 Jag's).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts