Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Friends, tell me, where are the brake circuit connection contacts under the hood? I have two lights off on my dashboard.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Check the bulbs first.

On my 74 SS1, the lights are connected to pressure switches on the ACVs just above the accumulators. (pic 1)

On my 74 SS1 the left hand heater switch marked "upper" switches the compressor on and off. Top and any position to the right is off, any position to the left is on. (pic 2)

I think your 71 SS1 will be the same.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
827 Posts
Do those lights come on when you turn on the ignition? They warn you of low or no brake pressure. There is a button to push on the dash to test the bulbs. If they don't ever come on don't drive the car until you have fixed them. I have had Shadows come into my shop with the bulbs in those warning lights removed to hide brake pressure failures, very dangerous. The other way to check the bulbs in those is to shift the transmission into R (reverse) and turn the ignition key to start. The engine will not start but those lights should light up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Friends, the little paws of the brake circuit are working. we found the contacts underneath the car. We cleaned them up, but when we start the car, the lights on the panel still don't work. Where to look for the reason? And also, under the back sofa, I found a sign, what does it say?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Pressed Steel "pressed" the panels for RR and Jaguar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Friends, tell me, where does the dashboard light turn on? When I turn on the low beam or parking lights, the panel does not light up.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Two things:

1. Do you have the Owner's Handbook for your car? If not, download it: Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow and Bentley T Owner's Handbook, 2nd Edition (TSD2394) - Reprinted 1975. The dash controls are very well documented.

2. These cars are notorious for issues with ground, and particularly if they've been sitting for a long time in conditions that were not almost bone dry. When I took the dash wood off of my Shadow II there was a lot of very light rust on the dash frame, and the ground wires attach to that frame. The lights for the lower half of the dash and the air conditioning would not illuminate, and that ended up being a slightly rusty ground connection. Any electrical connection that you ever have need to touch in these cars should be mechanically cleaned (when possible) with 0000 grade steel wool then given a very light coating of electrically conductive grease. For things that cannot be mechanically cleaned, like many slide connectors, using something like Caig DeoxIT or RadioShack Control/Contact Cleaner & Lubricant is the way to go.

Two brands of electrically conductive grease (and there are others):
Sanchem NoOxID A-Special
Gardner-Bender Ox-Gard

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Measure the hard line fitting at the pump, not the supply line. Do you have the special socket for the pump and O rings for the outer sleeve?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Measure the hard line fitting at the pump, not the supply line. Do you have the special socket for the pump and O rings for the outer sleeve?
At the moment, I have not ordered any of the brake system parts yet. I couldn't disassemble the system yet, because there is no key. I'm afraid even if I manage to get to the cylinder and disassemble it, the car will stand at the station for a long time.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
A look in the spare parts manual should tell you which of these two options is appropriate for your car based upon your chassis number.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
A look in the spare parts manual should tell you which of these two options is appropriate for your car based upon your chassis number.
I don't have a manual for the car. Where can I get this guide?

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
The vast majority of manuals, and definitely the Workshop and Spare Parts Manuals, for the SY series cars, among others, can be downloaded at no cost, direct from "the source:" Bentley Heritage Technical Library.

When Rolls-Royce and Bentley parted company to BMW and VW, respectively, Bentley retained responsibility for all the cars from both RR and Bentley that were produced prior to the split.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Jim,

Not precisely, but definitely the same ballpark!

I am not, personally, a fan of the parts locator simply because there's just so much "incidental learning" one does when actually reviewing the Spare Parts Manual/Catalog that you don't get with the electronic search.

Neither, I hasten to add, is wrong. I was just pointing directly to the electronic archive of the stuff that was originally produced on paper in bound volumes.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts