Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, I bought a car in the USA and brought it to Russia. The car starts and goes, but the engine works as if the valve is knocking. It works as if it runs on diesel fuel. Tell me, is the engine supposed to work like this? And the second question. What kind of gasoline should I pour? 92? 95? 100?

And also I am interested in some spare parts, filters, high beam headlight with 3 contacts.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
At a guess one of your hydraulic pumps are knocking, do you have any warning lights on?
You should barely hear from the engine 🙂
Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[QUOTE = "mikebentleyturbo2, сообщение: 200824, участник: 10785"]
Вы предполагаете, что один из ваших гидравлических насосов стучит, есть ли у вас сигнальные лампы?
Вы почти не должны слышать звук двигателя 🙂
Майк
[/ ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]
Thanks for the reply. There are no warning lights. But at idle, the engine runs unevenly. The sound in the engine is like diesel.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I use 95 petrol in my Silver Shadow 11, it doesn't really matter, the ignition timing can be adjusted to suit whatever grade fuel you use. If the rattling/ticking noise isn't from a brake pump it might be a stuck hydraulic tappet. Sometimed a 1/2 litre of Dexron auto transmission fluid added to the engine oil will help to free a sticking tappet. If it's a ticking brake pump it usually sounds noisier for a couple of minutes from cold start, then quietens a little once pressure builds and gets noisy again when the brake pedal is pressed.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi Inal

Welcome to the group

Can you give us some idea what condition the car is in. If it hasn't been regularly maintained you will need to carry out detailed checking and tuning of the engine - compression check , carburation and ignition. If the ignition timing is wildly out, then it will sound like a diesel.

I use the highest octane gasoline I can find - usually 98.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My car is a 1974 model with the higher 9:1 compression ratio with the handbook recommendation that 100 octane is used, which is why I go for the highest octane available. Also, since the ignition timing is specified at just 5 degrees BTDC there is not a lot of scope for retarding the engine without a noticeable loss of power.

I guess this situation is different on the series 2 cars, with the lower compression ratio.

Inal - what year is your car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a complete novice, could I ask if all the plugs are a similar colour Inal?

And

I use 95 petrol in my Silver Shadow 11, it doesn't really matter, the ignition timing can be adjusted to suit whatever grade fuel you use.
whilst some use the highest octane available, with standard compression and correct timing for the fuel, is it better for the car or for consumption to use high or lower octane?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Friends hi. On the advice of my master, I filled a full tank with AI-92 gasoline (there is no lower fuel in Russia) and finished off 150 grams of two-stroke oil in the tank. After half an hour of driving, the knocking became much quieter and almost disappeared.
Please tell me which oil is better for the engine and the box. Also ready to buy: two high-beam lamps Wagner, oil filter, automatic transmission filter, air filter and cabin.
There is still a problem, the fuel sensor I always have on the red mark MIN OIL, although the tank is full.
The speedometer needle jumps and does not show the exact speed.
My rear shock absorbers are pounding. Should they be restored or should they be replaced?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Friends, the condition of the car is good. But we need to prevent all aggregates.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Nice LWB version and the Ever-flex top of course, I especially like the black seats with the light beige piping.
The wood would be an easy redo on the dash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Friends, I captured on video the operation of the engine. A knock is heard. Is it a hydraulic pump? How do I eliminate this sound? Video:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice LWB version and the Ever-flex top of course, I especially like the black seats with the light beige piping.
The wood would be an easy redo on the dash.
The roof doesn't recline here. It's not a convertible.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Regards the speedometer - could be a frayed speedo cable. When this fault happened on my car it turned out to be a damaged cog on one of the gears. A member of this forum very kindly sent me a replacement gearwheel and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Long wheel base. Your car car is 4' longer than a standard Shadow, evidenced by the longer rear doors.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts