Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and introduced myself in the Newbie area.

I am purchasing a 1956 Bentley Cloud I, of which I know relatively little other than it's in great shape mechanically.

I am interested to learn a bit more about this gorgeous automobile, and I'm hoping someone here can give me a bit more insight. Some of the things I'd like to know are the history of this car (can't find much on the net so far) and what to expect in terms of longevity and the type of maintenance I can expect with this vehicle.

Buying this car is about the most exciting thing I've done in a while and I'm really looking forward to motoring about town in this classic example of a vintage automobile.

Any advice, insight, good or otherwise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to hearing from all of you :)

Daniel

·
Registered
79 Posts
Daniel
East coast of what?
A 1956 Bentley would be an S1 model. The corresponding Rolls-Royce was the Silver Cloud. Other model in the series were the S2 and S3, corresponding to the Silver Cloud II and III.
Technical manuals and a significant amount of information is available at the Australian Rolls-Royce club website. See the Technical Library at www.rroc.org.au and spend some time downloading what interests you. Also look at the 65 issues (to date) of Bill Coburn's Tee One Topics - very informative and entertaining reading.
Do a lot of reading first, particularly before attempting maintenance and topping up / changing fluids. Note that left side wheel nuts are left hand thread. Do NOT overtighten the brass wheel nuts. 35 to 40 ft - lbf is adequate.
Leho

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry and thanks!

East coast of the U.S., sorry I should have made that clear :)

Thank you for the info. After reading a brief history I found that RR bought Bentley during some economic hardship and have built them ever since, correct?

I know there is a '56 Bentley that is identical to a '56 Rolls. I'm just an aspiring enthusiast so I have a lot to learn.

Anyway, thanks again for the link!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

You may want to join the RROC and your regional chapter of RROC. Many meets and tours are planned. There are periodic seminars on cars held. I have learned just about everthing about my car interacting with other members of RROC.
www.rroc.org

1 - 5 of 5 Posts