Not necessarily because this word has the same accent all over the France,

but very carefully, yes indeed, especially for English people... :D :D :D

Even more if you have a denture !

I'm outside. :oops: :arrow:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Stirling said:
What does it sound like to a francophone if its mispronounced?
Just a little funny, like many french words pronounced by english people.
It is especially very touching as french people pronouncing english, i presume ... :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Camargue is a famous part of south of FRance, famous for its wild horses and bulls, and also for its swanp ! I really do not know the lonk between the RR and this region...I'm french, I've been several times in this area....very very pleasant !!!

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Well, there's no easy way to post an audio file here, and as people have implied, depending on your accent you get at least somewhat different results.

See Camargue in the Encarta online dictionary. For Anglophones the spelling and the pronunciation are pretty close to one another. I'm sure that our treatment of the vowels is distinctly different than that of a Francophone.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Stirling said:
You can hear the pronounciation of it
Sorry Stirling that's not the good french pronounciation at all, that's the english funny pronounciation :D

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Leloarer said:
The french pronounciation is ---> here :)
Which sounds, as most French does, absolutely sensual when spoken by a Francophone. I can tell you, though, it really loses something when attempts are made to imitate this by native speakers of other languages who cannot wrap their tongues fluidly around accents not native to them.

I would trust Meryl Streep to pronounce this flawlessly, but certainly not myself or most people I know!!

Brian, who is a speech-language pathologist by training and knows a bit about trying to reduce or change accents

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you. Now I know you just ignore the "ue" on the end and pronounce it like it is spelled. Not like Cheque or other odd ( by English standards ) French spelling pronunciations like Vanier ( Van Yay )

·
Registered
51 Posts
All of the posts on this topic so far have made me chuckle aloud. I have also asked many people about this pronunciation. All have given me different answers. I guess it all depends on which region of the globe you find yourself in, eh? :roll:

·
Registered
244 Posts
MrAfrosamoorai said:
I guess it all depends on which region of the globe you find yourself in, eh?
Hi,
The Camargue is a french south country, and I think that RR want to give this french name for this car.

So, the french pronouciation is, perhaps the better, even for english people ? ... :D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts