Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have restarted a Shadows after 8 years....

2 real problem :

-The windows not fonctionning

-The fuse of my Fuel Gauge is always burning ( the gauge is ok for 5 second and the fuse burn) ....

I haven't got any idea.... is the fuse gauge connected for anothers instruments?? or only for the fuel Gauge.

No owners hand book with the car.

Thanks for your reply !

Christophe

·
Registered
3 Posts
The system is fail safe; a fault that opens the electrical circuit causes the indicator to show the tank as being empty (which will provoke the driver to refill the tank(in theory)) rather than full (which would allow the driver to run out of fuel with no prior notification). However this system has a potential risk associated with it. An electric current is sent through the variable resistor to which a float is connected, so that the value of resistance depends on the fuel level. In most of automotive fuel gauges such resistors are on the inward side of gauge i.e inside fuel tank. Sending current through such a resistor has fire hazard (and a explosion risk) associated with it. Therefore there is demand for another safer (and cheaper) method to be invented.

Systems that measure large fuel tanks (including underground storage tanks) may use the same electro-mechanical principle or may make use of a pressure sensor, sometimes connected to a mercury manometer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is it a shad 1 or a 2. If it is a 2 there might be a red reset button on the black box in the fuse box. This might help the windows. As for the fuel level try disconnecting the transmitter in the boot on top of the tank. Disconnect it and see if it still blows. If not it is a problem with the transmitter. If it still blows then I would do a continuity test on the live feeds to ground and see if they are shorting out.

Hope this helps.

Matt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts