Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple miles from home, the power steering on my 86 Silver Spur stopped working. When I opened the Bonnet I found a glossy engine compartment. Since the pump was run dry for a couple miles, I suspect it needs to be replaced along with the hoses, one of which leaked spraying power steering fluid all over the engine compartment.

Any ideas where to get a replacement pump? I'm hoping to find hoses locally unless others have suggestions.

Thanks, Duane

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Duane,

Don't be in too big a hurry to declare your pump dead and in need of replacement. Dexron isn't like water, and even an empty pump has plenty of remaining ATF clinging on the inside to survive being emptied and driven a few miles. These are not fragile items.

However, if you're going to go the replacement route the pump in your car is the same Saginaw power steering pump that was used on the Shadows and millions of other cars. It is neither rare nor exotic. You could easily remove yours and take it to your local auto parts place that has experienced counter staff and they can match it up to its replacement in no time.

Also have a look at the Rolls-Royce/Bentley Substitute Parts Page under the Shadow section. Larry documents one functional substitute power steering pump there.

Heaven knows that Crewe did not manufacture the power steering pumps they used. These were "off the shelf" items used on myriad other vehicles. The hoses are dirt common and can be sourced at virtually any auto parts store.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brian. The pump was making some noise a day or two earlier and I topped it off (not overfilled). Then, yesterday no power steering and no noise from the pump (the belt is turning the pulley). I'll pull the hoses this evening and run over to the local part store and hope to replace them. I'll do this in stages based on your comments.

Looking at the pump, it looks just like the one I had on a '72 Buick with a V8. I'm glad the pumps are common. The local RR/Bentley salvage yard in Greenville, SC, is happy to sell me a pump for $275.

Thanks again.

Duane

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In an attempt to find the leak, I added nearly a quart of oil to the power steering pump while the engine was running. Eventually the pump started making an awful noise and then I found the leak. It is in one of the hoses that connects two pipes at the top of the grill. Makes sense why that tray was full of fluid.

Let's hope the pump "feels" better after replacing the hoses and oil.

Duane

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you do replace the pump and are sure which replacement GM part is the same - please let me know, so I can add it to the Substitute parts site. The one in my Shadow section is different, and matches UE39652SXR

Thanks,

Larry

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Larry,

I noticed the UR number it matches, but Crewe had the insanely annoying habit of changing part numbers even when not changing the actual part. If you look at the Saginaw pump in the Shadow Illustrated Parts Catalog and then the same power steering pump for Spirit/Spur cars up through about 16000 it's clearly precisely the same unit. The exploded views are virtually identical.

It's bad enough that Crewe (as well as some other manufacturers) routinely create their own part numbering schemes where "Bosch thingamabob #12345" is designated "OEM part X." But it's even worse when "part X" later becomes "part Y" yet both are still that Bosch thingamabob. And it's worse yet when the same externally-sourced part was used for decades, yet changed OEM part number every couple of years.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just had a similar experience with my 87 Turbo R, the culprit was one of the steel pipes feeding the fluid to the little cooler behind the bumper, made a temporary one with some copper pipe I had kicking around, hope to get my local hydraulic man to make a replacement for me.
Good luck
Graham

·
Registered
51 Posts
The pump is a Saginaw pump supplied OEM on a bunch of older Chevy's such as a 3/4 ton pick up. It's NAPA part number PS 385141

$36 bucks at Napa. This is the pump w/o the resevoir it is fitted into. If you want the pump and resevoir together they're about $55 bucks.

There's a few RR part supply shops happy to sell you these pumps for a couple hundred bucks or more. I'd be happy too if I was selling something for $250 bucks which cost me less than fifty.....

·
Registered
1999 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur, Mulsanne Green
121 Posts
I just went thru this tonight. I thought my PS pump was failing because suddenly steering sounded like something you’d find in a ‘66 Ford Galaxy. I knew I had just filled the reservoir last week. But I filled it to the minimum line, and my rack must finally be accelerating on its leaking. So today I had the dreaded PS pump noise and I checked my fluid and it is super low. This time I properly read the stick and gave it a little extra. I will see how long that holds things together because I just don’t feel like paying for a rack or having that one rebuilt right now.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Raise the front of the car high enough for the tires to be above ground. Remove pump cap ,and turn steering wheel slowly, lock to lock several times to purge the air.. Check fluid and adjust. You only need the pump to work against the resistance of the pavement and weight of the car. You can't purge the air effectively with running the motor..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Raise the front of the car high enough for the tires to be above ground. Remove pump cap ,and turn steering wheel slowly, lock to lock several times to purge the air.. Check fluid and adjust. You only need the pump to work against the resistance of the pavement and weight of the car. You can't purge the air effectively with running the motor..
I will take your sage advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I
I did exactly as you suggested. Fluid came spouting out of the closed reservoir so obviously did something. Topped off fluid. Was noisy for a moment but now seems quiet. We shall see if that cured my problem. Thank you for your sage advice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts