Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just want to verify this before I add fluid to my power steering pump on my 1990 Turbo R: the fluid is Dextron ATF, same stuff that goes in the transmission, right? I guess it feels weird since all my cars before this have used 'normal' power steering fluid... so I just wanted to check before I mixed fluids.

While we're on the topic the 90W Gear oil that Chapter D of the manual specifies, that's just inside the steering rack itself right?

Sorry if these are obvious to everyone, but I just want to double check. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Well, now I'll both step into the weeds and ask a question, too.

The IETIS system gives different fluids depending on model year and delivery market for a number of fluids. The OEM stuff that goes in the power steering reservoir and that powers the assist is ATF, what brand differs. Also, be very cautious with regard to Dexron and backward compatibility. You can definitely get Dexron-III compliant fluid even though GM doesn't technically license that version anymore. See this post I wrote on the Aussie Forums, which includes a picture, which points out what you need to look out for with regard to Dexron. If you're redoing your system from scratch with a new pump, hoses, etc., it's perfectly OK to use conventional power steering fluid. I've never understood what drove the ATF use other than convenience. It's got friction modifiers that probably would be better done without in most power steering systems. Also, if you're redoing your whole system, it's well worth considering placing a filter on the return line to the reservoir.

What's up with the EP oil? I still can't tell where this would be used even after having consulted IETIS. I'm clearly missing something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi There,

I have an 89 Turbo R and the manual says to use Dextron II for the power steering reservoir? Is that correct? Vs Dextron III for the 90 model?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You can pur Dexron III which is compatible with DII and a little better

No more than DIII

The best would be to vacuum the tank with a big sering and put DIII, Do it several time to renew.

DII is fine too, personnally I put DIII even in my Shadow before because the quality is much superior and power sterring is hard with oil because of pressure and friction.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I can understand where D2 or D3 would make a difference in a transmission as valve bodies can be finicky about these things. But does it really matter for a power steering pump? I've always been under the impression that if it's red, stick it in. At least this was the case for MB's until they went to the green stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can pur Dexron III which is compatible with DII and a little better

No more than DIII

The best would be to vacuum the tank with a big sering and put DIII, Do it several time to renew.

DII is fine too, personnally I put DIII even in my Shadow before because the quality is much superior and power sterring is hard with oil because of pressure and friction.
Thank you. I will pick some up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts