Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just clay barred my whole car and have begun polishing it with a random orbital polisher. The results are nothing short of spectacular (I thought the claying was amazing until I started the polish, which took the black paint into another dimension of brilliance).

The one thing that's worrying me is that I expect the polishing (I'm using a non-aggressive cutting polish and pads) is taking off the clear coat. Does anyone have any recommendations on what's best to protect the surface after I've done the whole car. With this layer removed I'd hate to put the car into some kind of long term jeopardy for the sake of some short term beauty treatment.

Would love to hear thoughts.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The clear coat ( if it ihas it) is harder than you think. If there is black on your pads, you are into the base. The clay is not aggressive at all.
Paint codes prefixed by 950 cellulose.Lacquer
Thermo Plastic Acrylic, all designated by a 951 paint code prefix.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wraithman. I'm definitely down to the base from the looks of things and getting a little marring. Going to have to be gentle with the rest of the wagon I think, and then try and find a decent sealer I'm guessing to make up for the lack of clear coat. Fingers crossed I don't bodge this too much.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If your car is a solid color, it's probably single stage paint. Even Mercedes Benz did not use base / clear on solid colors until the early 90's. If it looks great after you polished it, there's no way that you polished the clear completely off.

After you complete polishing, follow up with a good quality wax or sealer (basically a synthetic wax) and you'll be set.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. This defo sounds/looks like single stage paint. The marring has vanished overnight so I suspect it was excess oils from the polish left on the surface. It's looking amazing. Probably another 20 hrs of work and then onto some sealant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts