Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That includes my model, the Silver Shadow II.

How many of these were sold in the USA and how many in Canada? Anyone know? They were exported to Canada I assume?

·
Administrator
509 Posts
There's a lot of production numbers on SSII here:
http://www.rrsilvershadow.com/EMod/Aantjr.htm

Though not the answer to your question.

They were definately exported to Canada. When I was quite young there was a man in my neighbourhood who owned a blue Silver Shadow. I used to ride my bicycle past his house repeatedly in the hope that it was parked out front and I could stop and stare at it.

Funny thing was, the owner was the proprietor of the local Chrysler dealership. So while he was foisting Dodges and Plymouths on us prols, he had the good sense to drive a Silver Shadow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the term 'prols', I like to slip it into conversation sometimes!

I was born in '78 so as a young boy the Shadows were more common than the very new giant Ladas that they called the Spirit (Sorry Spirit owners).

These days lots of prols can afford a Rolls Royce, but I think despite that, they still have a level of class and sophistication above any other car (and fortunately good examples are still out of reach of many prols). A good Shadow will cost about the same as a 5 year old Mondeo (or whatever the N American version is called). But, how do you feel driving a Shadow compared to a Mondeo!? You can't beat the Rolls Royce feeling and in a couple of months you'll find me lording it up in the former East Germany!

·
Administrator
509 Posts
The way Ford sales are going, Phantoms will soon outsell Mondeos (Fusion over here). Ford was down 20% in January and dropped to FOURTH place in America behind GM, Toyota and Daimler Chrysler. Amazing.

I travelled through East Germany in 1994 on my way to Prague. I loved the whole region. Dresden, Karlsbad, Marienbad, and what is the name of that fortress where a lot of art was hidden during WWII, deep in the hill? It's in Saxon Switzerland. Is that near you?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The German car industry is pretty massive isn't it. They own, or have owned a lot of the scraps of left over British car industry. And, they pretty much have control over the big American player Chrysler.

I've been to Dresden and Karlsbad, both are just an hour or 2 away (Dresden is closer). The Sächsische Schweiz is also nearby, but I don't think I've been there. I can't think of the fortress name but if I heard it, it might be familiar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
:D Hello Henry Perkins,
Im Enrico (Henry) and Im born in 1978 too!
Probably thats why I feel a so big love for Shadows and Corniches models!
Its the "imprinting"!

Greets ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts