Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Please can someone tell me how to remove the wood between the front seats?

Ashtray is out. Trim around mirror adjusters is out. As is lighter.

I assumed it would then lift out, leaving the seat adjusters / seat memory switches behind. But they appear to be attached to the wood. I've pulled gently but am worried I'll break the seat switches....

Any guidance gratefully received.

[P.S. the black surround area around the electric seat adjusters in this car look a state. Any recommended product or method to try and smarten this up please...?]

Thank you.

Best wishes,
James.
Wood between seats.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are some screws/bolts that hold this center console to the transmission tunnel at the base of the ash tray opening.If i recall, 2 toward the rear of the opening. They are quite difficult to see and remove. My observations from an 87 Spur.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are some screws/bolts that hold this center console to the transmission tunnel at the base of the ash tray opening.If i recall, 2 toward the rear of the opening. They are quite difficult to see and remove. My observations from an 87 Spur.
Thank you. Tried your suggestion but simply couldn't find anything... So I looked at Google images and think an 87 Spur has a slightly different set up / design between the seats. But many thanks anyway for responding, appreciated. ;)(y)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I write this in case it is of use to anyone in the future who also has an early nineties Silver Spirit II and has this problem.

I don’t know if this is how it is supposed to be on these cars, but on mine this was solution..!

After much head scratching, I put my finger in lighter socket and held the lighter socket from underneath with my other hand. Turns out it could be twisted anticlockwise. This appeared to be the locking mechanism! We have success. Time to unscrew lots of panels of wires so poorly wood veneer can be restored…

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very useful James....i'll be attempting the same thing on my '89 Turbo R this coming week - I need to remove the seat adjustment switches to rewire as my 2 seat ECUs are toast (replaced batteries still no joy and on a 1989+ not just a case of plugging out the ECU and plugging in a relay to an existing slot under the seats) so going to manual mode only which requires some rewiring from the seat controls to the seat motors (for anyone interested do a search on here as a helpful member posted the instructions to my request a few weeks ago).

The Bentley Heritage site has all the service and workshop manuals up to around 1989 and this one:
has Interior Trim (Section S15) covered. Page 15-4 /15-5 covers centre console removal. This along with your trick should get me where I want to go but just posting this in case you did'nt know that the factory instructions for interior removal were online.

Once you have the panel removed a light sanding of the damaged black area, some masking up and a rattle-can spray of some matt black paint should freshen things up nicely.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very useful James....i'll be attempting the same thing on my '89 Turbo R this coming week - I need to remove the seat adjustment switches to rewire as my 2 seat ECUs are toast (replaced batteries still no joy and on a 1989+ not just a case of plugging out the ECU and plugging in a relay to an existing slot under the seats) so going to manual mode only which requires some rewiring from the seat controls to the seat motors (for anyone interested do a search on here as a helpful member posted the instructions to my request a few weeks ago).

The Bentley Heritage site has all the service and workshop manuals up to around 1989 and this one:
has Interior Trim (Section S15) covered. Page 15-4 /15-5 covers centre console removal. This along with your trick should get me where I want to go but just posting this in case you did'nt know that the factory instructions for interior removal were online.

Once you have the panel removed a light sanding of the damaged black area, some masking up and a rattle-can spray of some matt black paint should freshen things up nicely.

Thank you for that pdf link Kevin, that's a very useful thing to have on file. Great stuff.

Your suggested plan on tarting up that black panel was the same as I was wondering, so it's good to know and reassuring that it's how someone else would do it too.

Good luck for your work on your seats. (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts