Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the circular cover (with the stay upright RR logo) to access the wheel nuts on the Phantom?

Does it just come off with force or is there a special way of removing the discs?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, after some stuggling I managed to get a thin screwdriver behind the trim, and gently pry them off.
I had an e-mail from a chap who said they come off by pressing in the RR logo and twisting, but this didn't work with my wheels.
I wonder if there are two different designs?
They are on tight, probably just as well, they are not the sort of thing you would want to falling off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wheel center cap

dewatson said:
Thanks, after some stuggling I managed to get a thin screwdriver behind the trim, and gently pry them off.
I had an e-mail from a chap who said they come off by pressing in the RR logo and twisting, but this didn't work with my wheels.
I wonder if there are two different designs?
They are on tight, probably just as well, they are not the sort of thing you would want to falling off.

there are indeed two types, the old style which breaks easy was the one you had to push in, that is what I have in my 2006 Phantom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to update this thread it seems on the newer style center caps (2010 +) the best way for removal is to use a suction cup square in the center of the cap a give it a pull. Some videos of the process.

My question is does RR provide a tool to remove these? Or do they suggest prying?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Be careful using the suction cup, I managed to pull the cover off the centre cap on a couple of mine. They are threaded and screwed together. The problem is the red rubber O ring gets compromised when you screw them together again and then moisture gets in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is a Thanksgiving Day laugh for you...

Page 417 of the owner's manual for a 2018 Phantom 8 refers to locating and using "a plastic tool, similar to a screwdriver" to remove the hubcaps.

A what?? Is somebody at Goodwood really getting paid to dream up some imaginary tool to remove the hubcaps? Or does such a tool actually exist?

Can you imagine going into any type of store or shop and saying "Yes, I would like a plastic tool, similar to a screwdriver, please"?

Did nobody tell the guy writing the book that RR part number 71106787712 described as a "wheel trim cap puller" (basically a large suction cup) is available specifically for this purpose?

Of course some might say that the part should have been included with the car, as it was with newer Phantom 7's.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts